Race tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris James

Über Member
Just to add a bit of balance, my mate has used Michelin Pro Race in the past (PR2) and thought they cut up really badly and he won't buy them again.

He now prefers Contis.

I think it is probably the case that no superlight tyre lasts very long.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
There are other choices:

The new Panaracer tyres are very good as are the Vredestein Tricomps.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I have to say that I'm loving my Schwalbe Stelvios that replaced the hopelessly soft and unprotected Kendas on my SCR2.

No more mid-ride stops to repair you-know-whats every other day, and I've found them very grippy in the wet and dry. Despite riding over some crud-strewn roads and paths, they're neither gashed nor cut up yet.

Now I enjoy the rides rather than waiting on tenterhooks for the next forced stop....

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I use Ultra Gatorskins and i like them. Grippy and i have lent the bike over really far with them on and they still grip. Make that nice noise aswell.:ohmy:

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions chaps. What I'd really like to know is just how much difference I'm going to see for my money. Are we talking measurable 'I shaved 30s off my 10 mile PB' improvement or are we talking unquantifiable, seat of the pants 'feel'?

Noodley

Chuffy said:
Thanks for the suggestions chaps. What I'd really like to know is just how much difference I'm going to see for my money. Are we talking measurable 'I shaved 30s off my 10 mile PB' improvement or are we talking unquantifiable, seat of the pants 'feel'?

It'd mostly bollocks. Seriously. At buggering about level it matters not a jot. Unless you think it will...

walker

Chuffy said:

you will go faster on better tyres yes, lower rotating mass etc. race tyres are lighter as well so although only by a really small percentage your climbing will only slightly improve

jashburnham

GP4000S all the way. I had new front and rear on for the Dragon ride on Sunday. Had meant to wear them in beforehand but time got away from me so I rode on virgin tyres and they performed brilliantly, very fast and very grippy too.

Top Bottom