Racers, critique my race tactics (video)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Horrible music assaulted my ears!

The best thing to do is pretend you're tired so the front attack, Then when they burn out attack & stare back into their eyes as you fly off to glory!

zizou

Veteran
"Cycling is a lazy mans sport - he who does the least work often wins." -Montage I agree with this. The exception is when the aggressive guy gets up the road and the lazy man misses his chance. The back story to these races is that at some point in the first third of the race over the last several weeks someone has gotten away and the chase came too little too late. I was hoping to get in one of these breakaways.

It is easier to get in a breakaway by bridging after certain riders attack than trying to initiate it yourself (unless you have a quiet word with someone before doing so!) If you have been racing regularly you should get to know the guys you are up against and who is strong (and also who is not going to be able to sustain any attack). Always try and be aware of where these riders are around about you in the bunch. A road race is a bit different but in a regular crit held on the same course or on the track you'll eventually be able tell when certain riders are getting ready to go in terms of the positioning etc. When they do make their move you'll want to try and bridge inside the first 50 metres of gap and preferably earlier - but obviously you dont want to just pull everyone else back up either.

I think in your video it mentioned the race was cat 2,3 and 4. If you are a cat 4 going up against a cat 2 then its going to be difficult whatever tactics you use. But those are the wheels you should be following and be most aware of.

oldroadman

Veteran
The early move was a pointless waste of energy if it pushed anywhere near a maximal effort, and no-one joined. In this situation ease up on the energy input and keep rolling along. If someone comes then maybe a bit more effort might pay of. but generally early moves are low chance of success.
rejoining the peloton it's not good to drop back too far, which is why I think you may have overdone the earlier effort, and didn't recover well. This cost further on in having to move forward even if getting a little shelter. The whole field was far to spaced to get any proper shelter anyway, so more energy cost.
Lessons: In the first half of the race watch and work out who is strong, what is happening and ignore solo efforts, a small group or organised peloton chase later will nearly always work. Conserve energy, otherwise you spend it and the bill arrives later! Learn to ride much closer (is this what the references to "sphere" mean?) and get decent shelter.
Remember that the business end of a race is the last 25-30% of the distance, and it's not good going into this with too much energy used if you want a result. Only domestiques are cooked by then, for very good reasons, working for a team leader. In an individual smaller race then you have to look out for yourself, so stay in the wheels, ride first 15 in the peloton, and if you have to go through to the front early, keep the turns very short and steady.
Finally, don't get over excited - nervous energy will push your body and as I said the bill is paid later, so try and stay calm, think through the race, and conserve the big effort for when it counts.
Best of luck..!

Interesting that the officials let you start with cameras, as devices not essential for racing they are a no-no here in UK and europe, especially the helmet ones which can be the cause of all kinds of problems (gfalling off, injury to others, etc.).

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Interesting that the officials let you start with cameras, as devices not essential for racing they are a no-no here in UK and europe, especially the helmet ones which can be the cause of all kinds of problems (gfalling off, injury to others, etc.).

It appears to happen fairly often in the US. Robbie McEwen has a youtube channel with lots of race footage from crits on it.

zizou

Veteran
They were allowed here up until this season.

Although when i say 'allowed' i mean they were actually banned but the ban wasnt enforced (a bit like cycle computers were for years despite most people having one!). Got to love the rule book :biggrin:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
They were allowed here up until this season.

Although when i say 'allowed' i mean they were actually banned but the ban wasnt enforced (a bit like cycle computers were for years despite most people having one!). Got to love the rule book :biggrin:

It is just like the 3cm rule in TT's, the number of people breaking that rule appears very large.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The video was nice, obviously quite a bit of effort went into it. I have to be honest though, for me, the on screen commentary detracted more than it added. As for your race performance and tactics, I can't offer any critique as I don't do that kind of racing so would just be talking out of my backside.

The course looked lame though, seriously, racing around cones in a car park?
That's a huge car park mind!

OP
OP
The Domestique

The Domestique

I actually spent all of last year over there, raced with the Vandals!
Then we have raced together. I was a collegiate bronco while finishing my Ph.D. Small world. I have great video of when JT passed out on the bike.

OP
OP
The Domestique

The Domestique

As a complete non-racer, but avid cyclist, I really enjoyed the video. I really felt like I could 'get in to the race' whilst watching it. In contrast to Rob3rt I actually found the on-screen dialogue quite useful as it allowed me to have some sort of clue what was going on. :rolleyes:

I guess you just have to pick your audience - It'll be hard to produce a video that entertains both non-racers like me, and also acts as a race report for people who actually know what's going on like Rob3rt and Mr Haematocrit!

Well said. That's the balance isn't it?

The Couch

Über Member
Then when they burn out attack & stare back into their eyes as you fly off to glory!

Of course, we would all like to play Armstrong vs. Ullrich... but I don't know if it's as easy as that ^_^

The early move was a pointless waste of energy if it pushed anywhere near a maximal effort, and no-one joined. In this situation ease up on the energy input and keep rolling along. If someone comes then maybe a bit more effort might pay of. but generally early moves are low chance of success.
I agree here, with such an early escape attempt, if you don't quickly (1.5 tour max.) get someone in your wheel, sit up and let yourself get wheeled back. You really need a couple of people to survive something like that (even Jensie does), but then again I do like people who dare to take a (thought-out) whack at it.

oldroadman

Veteran
It is just like the 3cm rule in TT's, the number of people breaking that rule appears very large.

Do you mean the 3:1 ratio rules for tubes, handlebars, etc.?
In CTT events, they don't have to comply with the rules as defined by UCI and BC for TTs. Hence some interesting positions and adaptions can be seen at times. It all comes unstuck when the TT championship comes around, people show up with their CTT time trial bikes and quite a few get rejected, despite organisers showing them links to the BC website with all the specifications. I once observed a rider attacing his bike with a hacksaw to get it through the checks. A bit of reading and measuring could have saved an expensive day! xx(

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Do you mean the 3:1 ratio rules for tubes, handlebars, etc.?
In CTT events, they don't have to comply with the rules as defined by UCI and BC for TTs. Hence some interesting positions and adaptions can be seen at times. It all comes unstuck when the TT championship comes around, people show up with their CTT time trial bikes and quite a few get rejected, despite organisers showing them links to the BC website with all the specifications. I once observed a rider attacing his bike with a hacksaw to get it through the checks. A bit of reading and measuring could have saved an expensive day! xx(

No I do not mean the 3:1 rule, that is with regards component aspect ratio's (which as you correctly state does not apply to riders who ride only in CTT events), the 3cm rule is a CTT rule that relates to rider position. It is rarely if ever enforced but the regulations stipulate that your elbow must not be more than 3cm forward of a line extended through the centre of the steerer tube. There are very few limitations on ride position in CTT events, you have limits on saddle to bar drop and how far your elbows are in front of the steerer and that is about it.

People hacksaw a part off of one of the Specialized frames to make it UCI legal IIRC. Possibly the transition?

Top Bottom