Racers, critique my race tactics (video)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Domestique

I'm interested to know what the members of the forum have to say about this race video. I have been using a different forum and have found that I am getting trolled more than would be reasonable to expect. So, I put it here in hopes of starting a dialogue about racing, cycling video production, tactics, fitness, etc. If your criticism is constructive, I look forward to it.

This is a race I did with a six camera shoot. I had three cameras on the bike and three off. It was actually quite easy to set up.

Let me know what you think.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I'm not so sure the people who are interested in racing are the same people interested in video production.
As a racer I felt the video offered very little other than the entertainment value, without the music we could have heard what your breathing was like yet we were excluded from this.
In terms of Video production as a racer I would have liked to see an overlay from your GPS or power meter data. Applications such as dashware can undertake this task.
I felt the footage was edited for artistic and entertainment value rather than a discussion regarding race craft.... Slow motion cornering to permit discussion on cornering techniques would have been nice.

montage

God Almighty
Firstly, please keep making these videos, no matter what anybody says, they are great!

I think the main reason you did not win is that you keep riding over those arrows which are pointing in the wrong direction. That is bound to slow you down. I think tactics wise, you should turn your race effort gurning face into the Mr Colgate smile present in your avatar. If I were racing such a gleaming white smile, I think I would be charmed into submission well before the bell lap and provide you and obligatory lead out.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Thanks for posting the video, it's always interesting to see other riders POVs.

A couple of questions:
- What was the pace like when you did a couple of laps leading the field at the beginning of the race - i.e., hard enough for you to feel uncomfortable/knackered, or was it a fairly pedestrian start? Why were you working so early on?

- It was great to see you have a dig and attempt to get away (I'm all for adventurous racing), but it was a shame none of the strong competitors went with you! At what point in the race did you get away and how long did you stay away for? Was it an increase in chasing speed or a decrease in your speed that led to being caught? What effort was your breakaway attempt?

The course looked deathly dull - I couldn't ride that course for an hour or whatever it was...then I hate crits!

Noodley

I enjoyed it, but I am not sure if your on-screen dialogue is your reflections on what happened or what you were thinking at the time. Hindsight sometimes makes things slightly different to the reality at the time.

Anyway, if you decide to go for an attack next time make sure you speak to others and ask them beforehand if they'll join you and work together. Or make sure you time it so that you have a chance of it working, rather than knackering yourself. I was not sure if the race was a team format or individuals, so maybe if you have clubmates riding then work together towards achieving a result.

And use a fixed gear on a course like that...!!!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The video was nice, obviously quite a bit of effort went into it. I have to be honest though, for me, the on screen commentary detracted more than it added. As for your race performance and tactics, I can't offer any critique as I don't do that kind of racing so would just be talking out of my backside.

The course looked lame though, seriously, racing around cones in a car park?

montage

God Almighty
Cycling is a lazy mans sport - he who does the least work often wins.
You spent the first portion of the race on the front, then attacked, then struggled with the attacks that followed.

OP
OP
The Domestique

The Domestique

I'm not so sure the people who are interested in racing are the same people interested in video production.
As a racer I felt the video offered very little other than the entertainment value, without the music we could have heard what your breathing was like yet we were excluded from this.
In terms of Video production as a racer I would have liked to see an overlay from your GPS or power meter data. Applications such as dashware can undertake this task.
I felt the footage was edited for artistic and entertainment value rather than a discussion regarding race craft.... Slow motion cornering to permit discussion on cornering techniques would have been nice.

Well, you're certainly right about entertainment value. I've noticed that there are thousands of helmet or barcam racing videos. Many of them add commentary as to what the writer is thinking or trying to do. I guess adding an element of entertainment is necessary, but that's all done in postproduction. When I'm on the bike, I am purely focused on the racing.

I added the commentary because often people will ask, “why didn't you close that gap”, “why are you hanging off to the left and not right behind his wheel?”, and things of that nature. It's much easier to add some of the character and thinking in postproduction than it is to continually right people in response to those basic questions.

"Cycling is a lazy mans sport - he who does the least work often wins." -Montage I agree with this. The exception is when the aggressive guy gets up the road and the lazy man misses his chance. The back story to these races is that at some point in the first third of the race over the last several weeks someone has gotten away and the chase came too little too late. I was hoping to get in one of these breakaways.

It's not an exciting course but let me answer a couple of your questions...
Total distance: 40 Minutes
Lap size: .4 Miles / 1/2K
Where: Boise, Idaho USA The fairgrounds parking lot
"course didn't look great but you use what's available.." Agreed. I would rather have this than nothing.
"the video was pretty cool and nicely put together.." Thanks.
"On-screen dialogue is your reflections on what happened or what you were thinking at the time." I try to make it what I was thinking at the time but it's hard to keep out what you know in hindsight. Good point.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

HovR

Über Member
As a complete non-racer, but avid cyclist, I really enjoyed the video. I really felt like I could 'get in to the race' whilst watching it. In contrast to Rob3rt I actually found the on-screen dialogue quite useful as it allowed me to have some sort of clue what was going on. :rolleyes:

I guess you just have to pick your audience - It'll be hard to produce a video that entertains both non-racers like me, and also acts as a race report for people who actually know what's going on like Rob3rt and Mr Haematocrit!

ayceejay

Guru
I enjoyed it more with the mute button on, in the movies the pace of the music is dictated by the action although if the relentless beat was meant to underline your intention to ride a solo metronomic race you should make sure that you have the ability to sustain you ambition.

Top Bottom