races in north wales? and how do i enter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickJ95GB

hey, i've been considering entering a bike race for a while, and after getting my new bike today i felt i was pretty much ready, i can maintain 16mph for maybe 2 hours, not sure though, and i was wondering how i enter a race, do i have to request, pay, enter with a team,tiers, sign up for a site etc, i know practically nothing, and have no idea what pace different races are ridden at, i'm 17 and just got a road bike after 4 months of proper cycling, but picked it up fast, thanks

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Where in North Wales are you Nick?

There's info/links on Alf jones Website and Graham Weigh's in the North East.
I'm in Wrexham and keep getting invited to the Rhyl outdoor velodrom.....never been yet though:shy:

OP
OP
N

NickJ95GB

thanks for that link, couldn't see any actual road bike races there, though, and with Mathew T, would he help enter me into a club or something like that? would i need to be in a club to enter virtually any race, or something like this? thanks, again, really appreciate it

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I'm actually in Rhyl :smile:
Literally next door to me then.

Your best bet to get used to the race pace is to go to a training session at Marsh Tracks (link from Brewer). Thursdays at 7.45pm for adults £2 (you might get free for a first timer).
The sessions are mixed and usually involve Sprint training, Time trials, and Chaingangs.

Alternatively, you could try the Sunday club runs. These with either Rhyl CC or VC Melyd. With these there is no fee to enter and the group always wait for you to catch up if you fall behind. They are about 40/50 miles (and might involve a cafe stop).

Check out both clubs' Facebook pages for up to date info:
Rhyl CC: http://www.facebook.com/groups/1507...ment_id=420456248019879&notif_t=group_comment
VC Melyd: http://www.facebook.com/groups/436397859730721/

Alternatively, if you would like to go out on a ride with me sometime then I would be welcome to.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Bloody kids can't look beyond there nose;)

The Youtube clip has road bikes in the second half and there's a list of times down the righthand side.....and I see Mattew's posted ...phew:whistle:

OP
OP
N

NickJ95GB

Literally next door to me then.

Your best bet to get used to the race pace is to go to a training session at Marsh Tracks (link from Brewer). Thursdays at 7.45pm for adults £2 (you might get free for a first timer).
The sessions are mixed and usually involve Sprint training, Time trials, and Chaingangs.

Alternatively, you could try the Sunday club runs. These with either Rhyl CC or VC Melyd. With these there is no fee to enter and the group always wait for you to catch up if you fall behind. They are about 40/50 miles (and might involve a cafe stop).

Check out both clubs' Facebook pages for up to date info:
Rhyl CC: http://www.facebook.com/groups/1507...ment_id=420456248019879&notif_t=group_comment
VC Melyd: http://www.facebook.com/groups/436397859730721/

Alternatively, if you would like to go out on a ride with me sometime then I would be welcome to.

thank you, really appreciate it, will definitely do a few training sessions, get me up to scratch/learn my ability, and Brewer, i did see that haha, was looking for something else, thanks again, will definitely do.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
hey, i've been considering entering a bike race for a while, and after getting my new bike today i felt i was pretty much ready, i can maintain 16mph for maybe 2 hours, not sure though, and i was wondering how i enter a race, do i have to request, pay, enter with a team,tiers, sign up for a site etc, i know practically nothing, and have no idea what pace different races are ridden at, i'm 17 and just got a road bike after 4 months of proper cycling, but picked it up fast, thanks

What sort of racing do you want to partake in?

The TT and Road season is over. The track and CX season is underway. TBH, with your average speeds and lack of experience I would advice trying your hand at a few time trial's 1st. This will really tell you how fast you are on a raw level and won't carry the risk (to yourself and others) that a slower unpredictable rider would in a bunch race like a crit or road race.

Another thing? How much group riding have you done? I would say, if you don't have experience of riding in a group, your lack of close quarters riding experience may will be a liability! Join a cycling club and ride some group rides and chain gang sessions to familiarise yourself with the sort of riding you will experience in a race. Forget about absolute speeds other than to the degree you can stick with the group you choose to ride with, being able to ride in close quarters is of paramount importance. Speed will come as the group's ramp up intensity come the new year.

To race in crits and road races you will need to join British Cycling and purchase a race license. Time trials, you can usually get day membership for one or 2 club events but then the club will expect you to sign up to their club. Open TT's I think you need to be a member of a CTT affiliated cycling club to enter.

Whilst the speed's of a road race and crit shouldnt put you off giving it a go, do not underestimate the intensity of such events. The speeds in a crit might not be huge average speed wise, but they are essentially a series of sprints (braking into each bend then sprinting out, especially if you are further back in the bunch!) and the intensity will be high!

Top Bottom