Racing Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keen but clumsy

Hi all,
I'm interested in having a go at a road race. I'm currently a big runner and doing a bit of cycling for some lower impact training and am really enjoying it. Over the summer I had a crack heading up the Ventoux and loved it (and was pretty happy with my time). Based on this I thought I might have a crack at a race but don't really know my backside from my elbow when it comes to this. I was thinking maybe a long time trial would be a safe bet.
I live in Leeds so any advice on a decent event near by would be appreciated. Would I be best to go out on a few club rides first?
Cheers,
KbC

montage

God Almighty
join a local club and ask them where they do their time trials. The season is over at the moment so there are likely to be many for a while.

If you want to get into road racing that is a whole different kettle of fish - which is also far more expensive, but great fun!

oldroadman

Veteran
Absolutely right, get in touch with a club and go out with them, learn riding etiquette. Racing is not about how fast you can go, it's combined with skill, and the carnage which gets discussed on oter forums about 4th cat racing is caused simply by very fit indic=viduals, who are not properly skilled and attentive. Always remember, you will probably be a victim of the crash you cause. Spending some time - and jioining - a club should help you learn to ride close on a wheel, rubbing shoulders with someone, and corner correctly in a group, never mind about getting out of the saddle on a climb without jumping backwards. All things that help keep things as safe as they can be. If you can climb a bit, and you are fit, then learn the skills, enjoy the company and appreciate the help and tips, and when the racing starts you'll be fine. Best of luck!

OP
OP
K

Keen but clumsy

Thanks all. Sounds like sensible advice. I'm sure if I tried to race in a pack tomorrow I would be a danger to myself and others (not only due to my nickname!). I'll definitely have a go at a time trial as well.

monnet

Guru
In line with everyone else here, I'd agree with the join a club idea. I would say ride with a club as soon as possible to start learning group etiquette. Then, when the weather improves have a go at the time trial. Before racing though I would highly recommend getting involved in the local chaingang (ask your new clubmates about this). It'll be a (very) fast training ride with plenty of through and off and a few sprints thrown in. It will be hard the first time, very hard but the experience invaluable - you'll learn how to move around a tightly packed group of very fast riders. It will make the switch up to racing alot easier and safer.

As has been said, there have been plenty of problems in the last couple of seasons with 4th cats being very fit, moving up to 3rd cat and causing chaos because they don't know how to ride in a group. You're definitely approaching it in the right way.

It might be worth scoping out the events you want to aim for when summer comes. The BC calendar comes out in January (you'll need a BC racing licence to race in their events - info on their website). ALso there maybe TLI events near you too. People have mixed views about these but they are excellent down here in Gloucestershire - you don't need a BC licence for these events and they tend to be a bit more informal (well, until the Elites turn up to ride in the scratch group as a training run!).

monnet

Guru
Oh and I forgot to add - Good Luck! And once you've one you first race, that'll be the end of your running, you'll be addicted to bike racing - there's no thrill like it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Maybe you could try duathlon (taking advantage of your running background)? Look at triathlon clubs as well as cycling clubs.

The bike leg in triathlon and duathlon isnt as crazy hectic as critsbig road races and scratch races. It may be a good way to both get experience of being in a group, without the crazy dash for the line whilst also giving yourself a chance of a good finish.

fimm

Veteran
Maybe you could try duathlon (taking advantage of your running background)? Look at triathlon clubs as well as cycling clubs.

The bike leg in triathlon and duathlon isnt as crazy hectic as crits big road races and scratch races. It may be a good way to both get experience of being in a group, without the crazy dash for the line whilst also giving yourself a chance of a good finish.

In my experience it is highly unusual for the bike leg in a du/triathlon to be draft legal for amateurs - it is only the elites who draft. But OP, if you are looking for something different on the race front, it might well suit you.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Good point, they often arent draft legal. Which is an added bonus in some respects, its an oppertunity to gain racing experience, and even in non-draft legal events there will be times where you are forced to manouvre in a closer evironment than you are used to, its unavoidable, leaving and entering transition riders will be bunched surely? How can this be avoided?

Sprint events dont provide the scope for the bike leg to end up really drawn out either.

montage

God Almighty
even in shorter events there are enough seconds between most riders for it to be safe.

If you start road racing, be prepared to burn a hole in your wallet. BC membership + racing liscense is about £70 (less if you are in a club)....each race will be about £10

OP
OP
K

Keen but clumsy

Right then deicision made - I'll enter an early season duathlon and then maybe a sprint tri whislt focussing mainly on running with a few long rides. Any advice on good events in the Leeds area? If these go well and I am strong enough on the bike I'll look into joining a club and starting to do less running and more biking.

Cheers all

fimm

Veteran
Can't help with triathlons in the Leeds area, sorry - if you look on the BTF (British Triathlon Federation) site there are lists of races there. Also worth a look is a resource called EntryCentral http://www.entrycentral.com/. There's a friendly triathlon forum called TriTalk here: http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/index.php

One thing to make clear is that the bike leg in a du/triathlon (at non-elite level) is very different from a bicycle road race. In triathlon, drafting is illegal and you must be 7m from the person in front of you unless you are overtaking them. It is a timetrial, and enthusiasts will have TT bikes or road bikes with clip on aero bars. However you can do a triathlon on any bike - I did my first few on a cheap heavy mountain bike. In a road race you ride as a drafting pack (in the main), aero bars are not allowed and me and my MTB wouldn't get anywhere! (I get the impression that triathletes are sometimes stereotyped as having poor bike handling skills and there is an element of truth in this as we don't race in the same demanding environment that pure cycle racers do.)

Edited to add some links.

OP
OP
K

Keen but clumsy

Cheers Fimm - I've had a quick butchers at the links - sure I'll find something to keep my entertained.

I've done some sprint tris in the dim and distant past so I know what you mean about the difference between styles.

Top Bottom