Racing cyclist killed - A63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
+ 1 rip the rider

compo

Veteran
I do sometimes wonder as to the sense of holding TT's on major highways. I am not saying that we shouldn't be able to but in the real world it sometimes just seems to be inviting disaster. I often feel this when I see the lads on the A14. Even at 0700 on a Sunday morning it can be a bit busy at times.

GrasB

Veteran
Very sad news & condolences to all.

I do sometimes wonder as to the sense of holding TT's on major highways. I am not saying that we shouldn't be able to but in the real world it sometimes just seems to be inviting disaster. I often feel this when I see the lads on the A14. Even at 0700 on a Sunday morning it can be a bit busy at times.
I can see the attraction of using roads like that for TTs, now more than ever. They have good quality surfaces, the surfaces are very clean, they far fewer obstructions & are a less likely to provide to external interference which has a significant impact on race result. These attractions are becoming even more favourable as back roads get minimal maintenance, usually a quick patch up, & thus are slowly deteriorating. The problem is that if something does go wrong on those roads the consequences are almost certainly going to be fatal.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
We all take the same risk when we throw a leg over a bike. Dual carriageway or otherwise,being a race makes it no different from a commute/club ride or going to get milk.

GrasB

Veteran
We all take the same risk when we throw a leg over a bike. Dual carriageway or otherwise,being a race makes it no different from a commute/club ride or going to get milk.
However most cyclists wouldn't consider using the A14 for a commute or milk run. The A14 is a road I won't cycle on except for where there is a 'local traffic lane'. I do however use the A248 & A11 semi-regulally at times I know that they're quiet. However, I also run my rear light at full brightness with a hi-power strobe, not something you'll see on a race prepped TT bike.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
However most cyclists wouldn't consider using the A14 for a commute or milk run. The A14 is a road I won't cycle on except for where there is a 'local traffic lane'. I do however use the A248 & A11 semi-regulally at times I know that they're quiet. However, I also run my rear light at full brightness with a hi-power strobe, not something you'll see on a race prepped TT bike.
None of this post is relative to the point I was making.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm torn between both opposing views on this one. As a bit of a cyclist myself, I have seen four bike races on roads I wouldn't ever consider riding on, let alone racing. And one of the races I happened to pass must have been the one under discussion here as it was on that same road at the same time of year. Two seasoned cyclists, we both expressed surprise this race was sanctioned under such circumstances when we happened upon it. I have sympathy for both parties in this one. There's no winner here.

bianchi1

Guru
These types of roads are ideal for setting personal best times. The drag a rider gets from being overtaken by lorries and cars at 60 mph + must be worth a minute over ten miles.

I wouldn't go near this type of course, but if your personal definition of success is to do a sub 20 min 10 it's an option.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The V718 is one of the fastest TT courses in the country and many events are held on it yearly without incident! It is just an unfortunate event that sadly claimed a life!

I will definitely be thinking of this rider and his family today when racing myself, it is a great shame.

Top Bottom