Racing in your prime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill Gates

Circa 1979. Must be either a 50 mile or 100 mile TT as carrying a drinks bottle.

midlife

Guru
I've seen that pic before, and a couple more on the Tom Avon in the Comic :smile:

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

The North Road CC Memorial 50 mile TT 1980, won by Ian Cammish the National 50 mile TT champion 1.48.28, 2nd Roger Queen Bronze medalist from the National 50 the week before, 1.51.34 and 3rd me 1.51.48 a ride that would have been good enough for 4th place in the National 50, which I hadn't entered. It was a club record which stood for more than 20 years until the Aero revolution came along.

We also won the team event that day. In the last mile I caught my 5 minute man who was a member of my club and he disqualified himself from the race telling the Timekeeper that half way round the course he had accepted a lift from his helpers and placed himself further up the course, then got back on his bike to finish. So we didn't win the team award after all. This highly strung individual could not believe that i could have caught him and so attempted to discredit my ride by accusing me of cheating. My club were apoplectic over it and to my knowledge he never rode for us again. I think his effort was fading at the end of the race and I was going like the clappers and went past him like a steam train. Even so unforgivable really.

No drink bottle. We were tough in those days.^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom