1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing Licence

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by arranandy, 9 Jan 2008.

1. I now have a provisional racing licence but I'm a bit confused as to what races I can enter.:wacko: Can I enter races that are open to 4th cats? ie. is a provisional te same as a 4th cat?
    Can someone please clarify this situation. Thanks

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Never heard of a provisional license before, what is it provisional upon? Normally you just buy a Cat 4 license and then have to earn your points to move up the gradings.

3. Its a British Cycling provisional licence. Anyway I'm aiming to enter a few road races/APRs this year which are open to 4th cats

4. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

According to the BC web site, a provisional licence provides, "... access to designated events in BMX, Closed Road Circuits, Cycle Speedway, Cyclo-Cross & MTB."

Itz wot i haz. Not that I need it for racing (you don't have to have a licence to do time trials). I simply took out silver BC membership for the third party liability insurance, legal advice & support.

5. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

I think you get a provisional licence when you take out BC membership, and you can use it for Go race events - not sure you can use it for much else without buing a day licence.

My racing licence was I think £31 on top of the membership fee. We took Gold membership which isn't that much more. The pain is that the licence expires on Dec 31st and the membership renews mid year for us as it runs from the day you first got it.

6. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

7. walker

walker New Member

a provisional allows you to only race on closed curcuit races like crits etc. You need to upgrade to a full licence to be able to race on open road races. you are still covered under insurance though

8. I'm thinking of joining the TLI as well. The race reports - by Tam O'Ranter' are very amusing:biggrin:

9. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

And of course, if you do time trials, you don't need any sort of licence, you simply need to join a club affiliated to Cycling Time Trials. Cheap to do, cheap to enter events. Example - annual membership of club I belong to £7. Typical cost to enter a club event £1 and typical cost to enter an open event £7

10. Will1985

Will1985 Über Member

wafflycat, where are you in Norfolk? When you say middle, I'm thinking Dereham/Swaffham way...

I'm probably going to join Godric for TT's this year, and stick to solo or small group riding otherwise.

11. shooter560

shooter560 New Member

Will1985, I'm in Norwich what part are you? I'm also looking for an active club

12. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

YHPM

13. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

If there's several of us in Norfolk, we really should have a pootle round the lanes.

14. Will1985

Will1985 Über Member

I'm a couple of miles east of Long Stratton, so for me it is Godric over at Bungay or VC Norwich.

15. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Good time trial courses over at Bungay...