Racing Licence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Never heard of a provisional license before, what is it provisional upon? Normally you just buy a Cat 4 license and then have to earn your points to move up the gradings.

wafflycat

According to the BC web site, a provisional licence provides, "... access to designated events in BMX, Closed Road Circuits, Cycle Speedway, Cyclo-Cross & MTB."

Itz wot i haz. Not that I need it for racing (you don't have to have a licence to do time trials). I simply took out silver BC membership for the third party liability insurance, legal advice & support.

Dave5N

Über Member
I think you get a provisional licence when you take out BC membership, and you can use it for Go race events - not sure you can use it for much else without buing a day licence.

My racing licence was I think £31 on top of the membership fee. We took Gold membership which isn't that much more. The pain is that the licence expires on Dec 31st and the membership renews mid year for us as it runs from the day you first got it.

walker

a provisional allows you to only race on closed curcuit races like crits etc. You need to upgrade to a full licence to be able to race on open road races. you are still covered under insurance though

wafflycat

And of course, if you do time trials, you don't need any sort of licence, you simply need to join a club affiliated to Cycling Time Trials. Cheap to do, cheap to enter events. Example - annual membership of club I belong to £7. Typical cost to enter a club event £1 and typical cost to enter an open event £7

Will1985

Über Member
wafflycat, where are you in Norfolk? When you say middle, I'm thinking Dereham/Swaffham way...

I'm probably going to join Godric for TT's this year, and stick to solo or small group riding otherwise.

Top Bottom