Racing other commuting cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Pushing yourself to pass or not be passed by other commuting cyclists is a pointless exercise. You have no idea how far they have ridden or if their suffering an illness or anything else.

So why do I get such a smug bit of satisfaction when I do it?^_^

PS probably because I rarely pass anyone so feel the need to celebrate the odd one that I do.

Yesterday morning I turned onto a single lane track where a roadie looking about 20 years younger than me was about 20 metres ahead.
I hoofed it and passed him doing 26 then as usual I realised I had to keep that speed up for the next half mile to save face.
Was worth it though :0)

AncientWyvern

I know it's not the done thing, but when ever i see another cyclist on the road ahead of me... I am hunting them down with all I have! I guess it's just my competitive nature.

Reactions: gaz

Gary E

Veteran
I was overtaken by a very flash looking bike last year and the 10 year old in me came out!
It took me about 2 miles to catch him but I did a good job of hiding the fact that I was dying as I went past him with a cheery 'morning'.
At this point I spied another bike a few hundred yards ahead, again the 10 year old yelled "get 'im!"
Another 2 miles later, bursting lungs and trying not to faint from the effort I managed (just) to gasp "morning".
It was at this point that I noticed a third bike up ahead and this time I noticed something else - a white square with a number on it stuck to his back!!!
I'd only managed to get involved in a road race hadn't I?
Obviously at this point, faced with the choice of taking on the remaining riders or backing down I noticed that I needed to pull up and do some important checks to my bike :rolleyes:

gbb

Legendary Member
I was overtaken by a very flash looking bike last year and the 10 year old in me came out!
It took me about 2 miles to catch him but I did a good job of hiding the fact that I was dying as I went past him with a cheery 'morning'.
At this point I spied another bike a few hundred yards ahead, again the 10 year old yelled "get 'im!"
Another 2 miles later, bursting lungs and trying not to faint from the effort I managed (just) to gasp "morning".
It was at this point that I noticed a third bike up ahead and this time I noticed something else - a white square with a number on it stuck to his back!!!
I'd only managed to get involved in a road race hadn't I?
Obviously at this point, faced with the choice of taking on the remaining riders or backing down I noticed that I needed to pull up and do some important checks to my bike :rolleyes:

You were fooling no-one, they knew EXACTLY what you were doing :laugh::laugh:

Bobario

Veteran
I once chased a bloke on a sit up and beg shopping style bike (i was on me old commuting MTB) on the way home from work. I couldnt believe how he maintained such a rapid pace with such little effort. I caught up to him as he slowed to take a roundabout and noticed he was riding an electric bike.

Another time i was on me other (faster) MTB and some bird on a racing bike shot past at a rapid rate of knots. incenced at being overtaken by a woman i gave chase and caught up to find it was a long curly haired student type BLOKE about 20 odd years younger than me, so i turned off for home.

I'd have caught em both if i'd wanted to, honest.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Out this evening after I just set off 2 guys came past me. I thought 'pfft, off you go then boys'. Anyway it was odd as they didn't really pull ahead. The guy at the back looked like a muscle man gym type and I wondered how they would cope with the long gentle hill we were coming up to... Sure enough.. Slow slow.

Anyway I thought, I'm going to sit back here a wee bit, take advantage of the slight draft in the headwind. Sat on them for about 4 miles till they totally cocked up a REALLY dangerous roundabout.. I decided to smoke them both mainly to get myself out of the way.

Anyway, when I got on swanage chain ferry 20 lumpy miles later, who should come on board! The dynamic duo! Obviously suffering a bit! They had to race to catch the boat! I'd been waiting at the embarkation point for 15 mins! They'd done the same route as me, so I felt kinda chuffed.

Top Bottom