Racing other commuting cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brahan

Über Member
Rule number 1: Race everybody.

musa

Über Member
It's the fight in men, who has to look better than the next, I'm sure some can vouch this when in the gym.

I tend to keep the person in front as a 'keep on back-wheel' pace almost like a marker

Just do me a favour when you indulge in SCR with someone who isn't racing....

KEEP THE PACE UP AFTER YOU PASS and don't bloody well ease off straight after and force me to slow. Three times. Then definitely don't undertake me as I take primary at a stop sign over a junction and then try to overtake the cyclist on the left that I am positioned to overtake, forcing past my front wheel.

Oh and incidentally don't hurtle straight out of a give way forcing me to turn sharply to avoid you, whilst you also send a pedestrian leaping out of your way either.

If you ride a green Viking road bike with matching green lycra in Sheffield, then I mean you!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
My favourite overtakes are when I pass lycra-clad chaps when I am wearing "civies" - especially with my hair down and skirt flapping! :girl:
Do you hear their little gear change noise as they panic to react and get infront? :smile: The lycra-clad guys seem to get really "competitive" when overtaken by a fat bloke on a hybrid with front sus. and full mudguards even if the lockout, slight downhill and tailwind has levelled the playing field a bit ;D

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Just do me a favour when you indulge in SCR with someone who isn't racing....

KEEP THE PACE UP AFTER YOU PASS and don't bloody well ease off straight after and force me to slow. Three times. Then definitely don't undertake me as I take primary at a stop sign over a junction and then try to overtake the cyclist on the left that I am positioned to overtake, forcing past my front wheel.

Oh and incidentally don't hurtle straight out of a give way forcing me to turn sharply to avoid you, whilst you also send a pedestrian leaping out of your way either.

If you ride a green Viking road bike with matching green lycra in Sheffield, then I mean you!

I had some knob on an ill-lit bike do this to me one evening, he pulled off the pavement in front of me, I overtook him rather than crash into him, then he proceeded to honk past me three times, each time slowing down afterwards to a much slower pace than I could sustain. I needed to turn right and this twit really got in the way then, too. Just a perishing nuisance & dangerous distraction.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i had someone wheeling me yesterday when i was "taking it easy" and warming up, spun up and left him at the start of my interval training, we passed each other a couple of times and i eventually let him sail off into the sunset!

Leodis

Veteran
I had one this morning, some lycra clad roadie but with panniers on North St, Leeds who thought he had me after over taking a bus (after he was about a foot from its rear whilst moving), I showed him the way of the overweight man on a hybrid, I let him go ahead and flashed past him when the lights turned green (he was turning the other way and in another lane but the envy in his eyes said it all).

Usually I give myself a little high five or fist pump when I skin someone, usually its someone on a 20 year old BSO from Sports Direct or a middle aged women on a dutch bike with ultra bright high vis.

redcard

Veteran
Old men loaded with panniers, fat people, noobs on BSOs,women........ You ride my commute, I will destroy you (probably).

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
So Im not only one with little horns that come out^_^ I remember my worst overtaking experience, worked hard to look nonchalant catching another roadie on a long hill finally got past near the top trying hard not to breath too heavy and let him know I was cream crackered, slipped onto the big chainring going over the summit and the f_____g chain came off :ohmy:

Old men loaded with panniers, fat people, noobs on BSOs,women........ You ride my commute, I will destroy you (probably).

People who think they will destroy fat people loaded with panniers on a BSO
You ride my commute, this fat person loaded with panniers on a BSO with a laden trailer for good measure might surprise ;-)

Buddfox

Veteran
Despite my reference to Rule 71, I still can't resist the wacky races away from the lights at Vauxhall Bridge road in the morning. If I'm not quickest, it really bothers me! Easy pace be damned...!

Top Bottom