Racing Tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
Hi folks - I've been cycling about 18 months; occasional sportive, club TTs, occasional club run and a lot of solo rides.

Anyhow I'm doing my first road race tomorrow, an APR. 3 laps of a 15 mile circuit. Now I've never even seen an actual race, never mind taken part in one. Have you any tips, or last minute advice for a very green newbie?

The start sheet isn't out yet, but given my lack of experience I'm hoping the handicap will be kind to me.

User269

No matter how fit and strong you are, you're unlikely to do well unless you use tactics! Ride on the wheel of the bike in front, (take your turn), conserve energy ready to go with an attack, a break, or to stay with the group when climbing. If only it were that simple..............................:eek:

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

the race is tomorrow and there's no start sheet yet..?? How do you even know you if you are entered?

If it's a handicap, it's likely you will be in the first group away. Depending on how sensible the group is, you will either work together and get a pace line going in an effort to avoid being caught by the following group - or alternatively, you will all just ride around a bit, waiting to be collected by group two, in the hope of clinging on to the back as they go past.

To be honest, a handicap is not an ideal intro to road racing, as they can be pretty unforgiving, and very full-on. Either way, it's all good - ride it, learn from it, and then enter another one.....

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
I knew I was entered because I had an email from British Cycling saying my entry had been accepted.

Well I have a start sheet. It's a relatively low key affair with about 25 entrants. I'm off first, a second group goes off 8 minutes later, and then a third group 3 minutes after that. I'll just treat it as a learning experience. One of the things I always try to do on my bike is settle into a steady rhthym to 'eat' miles, so I reckon changes of pace may well be a challenge for me.

thanks for the help guys - I'll let you know how it goes.

redcard

Veteran
Good luck.

Would be interesting to hear your performance / average speed etc compares to your solo rides.

I average around 15-16mph on my commutes, but realistically think I would be doing 18-20 in a race environment, properly fuelled and without carrying a rucksack etc. Would be interesting to hear if my expectations match your experience today.

my training rides typically average around 18-19mph (hilly around here). Race averages are usually around 25mph. Riding solo compared to riding in a group does not compare at all.

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
Well that's been and done it - and boy was that hard!There were some late entrants so the numbers were up a bit.

I started in group 1, very sociable got pace lines going, worked well together at a moderate pace. We almost completed the first lap when we were caught by a large group. I did the will I wont I bit and eventually jumped on the back. This was a serious change in pace, but I held on for about half a lap. We came to a downhill section, and because I knew it well I moved up through the traffic, which may or may not have been a good thing, because the group split going uphill. I just about held onto the front group, cresting the hill about 4 metres down, but despite my best efforts that gap just grew. By this time I was blowing pretty hard and I was caught by another two people. I tucked in behind them, recovered slightly, and said I'll take over for a bit. I looked back and they had dropped behind, so I pressed on and effectively did the last 20 miles or so solo.

At the end one of the two people asked why I wouldn't work with them to share the load?

I didn't know the answer to that, so didn't say anything, there were several possible answers:-

1. Because you weren't fast enough. Somewhat ironic, given that neither was I!
2. Because the finish was uphill and you were a better climber than me, so I didn't want to stay with you all the way just to be pipped at the line!
3. Because I was naive enough to believe that if I pushed on I might catch the group again.
4. Because I almost always ride on my own and that's where I felt most comfortable.
5. Because I don't have any experience, didn't know what I was doing, and just let the adrenaline take over.

5 is probably closest to the truth.

Overall speed worked out about 20.7mph, for what was effectively a 22 mile race followed by a 20 mile time trial!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Nice work.

Since you stayed away your tactic worked. You would've ended up doing all the work anyway.

Not like they were teammates or anything.

Doesn't sound like it went too badly, and doing the first one is an essential step.

Top Bottom