Rack and panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Topeak slide on trunk bag with fold out panniers? Fab bit of kit. Not £12 though

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/101855/products/topeak-mtx-trunkbag-ex-exp.aspx

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/103199/products/topeak-super-tourist-rack-dx-disc-black.aspx

I use these on my Whyte Cambridge

Crankarm

Guru
If you are buying at Halfords with their 20% off all accessories offer, then I would suggest buying the Topeak Super Tourist DX rack as it is one of the best you can get. Don't bother with that other one you posted the Axiom whatever rubbish.

As Fossy recommends get Ortlieb Roller Classic panniers - totally waterproof and 5 years warranty, or my preference is for Vaude Aqua which are similar, again totally WP, but a shade more robust than the Ortlieb panniers, if that is possible, but this is just me being picky. They have a 3 year warranty. I would go for the larger rear panniers as you don't have to fill them and you can use only one if you want and still have plenty of space to carry warm layers when you are riding in winter or wet weather gear. This is what I do. Altura are ok but not as good as Ortlieb or Vaude panniers.

HTH.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Cheers for all the help.

The LBS were on phone yesterday to say the bike is ready, so I asked them to fit a pannier rack and the Whyte mudguards while they had it.

On the strength of recommendation on here, thought it would be silly to go past Ortlieb, so have one of them on order and will add another one if/when required.

Thanks for all the advice!

Tynan

Veteran
good choices, my mudguards are mostly in pieces now with big bits missing but they've survived rough treatment and some offs and must have channeled millions of gallons away from me, ortliebs are as good as it gets, I winced when I paid for them but they've been worth every penny and then some

perhaps not the one I left at the side of the road at 1am ten years ago after fixing a visit

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I got a single one got £35 - is that a lot for a pannier?

Arrived today, very impressed with it. Got black to go with the bike, going for the Johnny Cash look!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I got a single one got £35 - is that a lot for a pannier?

Arrived today, very impressed with it. Got black to go with the bike, going for the Johnny Cash look!
£35 well spent. I have a pair and they are as tough as old boots. Never leaked a drop in the last five years. Who needs a pannier that is "almost waterproof"?

Top Bottom