Rack with no eyelets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike!

Guru
I fancy fixing a rear rack for some paniers to my bike but i have no eyelets top and bottom.

I know about P-Clips for the top but are they ok to use for the bottom fixings too? Or are there other alternatives?

Don't really want a seatpost job either before anyone suggests it (it's a last resort for me!!).

Don't want to carry a lot of weight, mainly clothes and lunch - possibly an A4 folder and a small netbook.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic

HelenD123

Guru
The bottom probably attaches through the quick release. How much are you looking to spend? There are probably solutions from Tubus or Old Man Mountain but they're pricey.

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
Don't want to spend silly amounts as i'd just stick to a rucksack!

However i have just found this;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14332

Looks like it might do the job as it appears the bottom mounts just clamp around the frame - like a P-clip!

Anyone using one or anything else i should consider? i do find it strange that racks attaching through the axel don't seem to be widely available, must be a reason for that?

ASC1951

Guru
You can get some thick tapered threaded washers (I can't think of a better way to describe them) which fit in the little triangle where the chainstay joins the seat stay. You then bolt through the bottom of the rack in the normal way.

sheddy

Legendary Member
If you don't load it up the P clips will be fine. Just check em once in a while

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
ASC1951 - any links to what you mention? I think i get the idea but a link would be great!

Sheddy - i kind of thought the same, as long as i'm not loading it up p-clips ought to be fine but i did read that the frame twists and p-clips at the bottom are not the best idea?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I use a seatpost rack on my roady as i like to take it off at the weekend and go for a ride with less weight and it makes it easier for cleaning the bike .

Just a heads up ,compared to a standard rack the weight does sit a little higher and if you have enough weight you can feel it when cornering.

Top Bottom