Rad bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jann71

Veteran
Anyone got a Rad runner or Rad rhino (step thru)?

I think I need a 2nd ebike.

Love my current ebike for riding on tarmac and mainly commuting but as a city bike/hybrid it was never meant for gravel tracks and mud.

I’m having a look at different bikes but MTB in a small size 15 or maybe 16” there hasn’t been much to choose from.
my cycle to work is limited to Halfords and £1000 with no option to top up.

then came across the rad bikes. I’m looking for something to go on rough tracks, trails, crappy tarmac. Not worried too much on mileage from the battery probably 10-15 miles most and doesn’t break the bank.

Drago

Legendary Member
Blimey, the Runner is 29kg, which is fearsomely heavy by even ebike standards. Not sure I'd want to wrestle that off road.

The Rhino is a real bloater at 33Kg, almost twice that of my Subway E at 18Kg, which itself is surprisingly handy on the tracks and trails. Question marks over full legality if the Rhino 5 - the "EU version" is still a 750W Bafang motor, albeit programmed down to a 250W output, and while that complies with the spirit of the law it doesn't comply with the absolute letter of the regs. It only comes in one frame size too, which is a bit of a ballache if you're not 5'10".

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I had a brief look into these rad characters a couple of years ago when I was in the market for a bicycle. I liked the look of the cargo bike. I think it was called the 'rad wagon'. At the time though it was a tad out my price range and also was only available in 750w motor format which would have rendered my activities illegal without proper registration. I think they now do 250w versions. In the end I settled for a Chinese generic fat bike with no electric and brought a elephant bike and accessories with the change. I don't feel I lost out without electric. I think subway e as suggested by @Drago is a good deal.

OP
OP
jann71

jann71

Veteran
The UK versions are the 250 and not the 750eu models.

Think I ruled out the Halfords one due to frame size, it's too big.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210304-231045~2.png
    Screenshot_20210304-231045~2.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20210304-231058.png
    Screenshot_20210304-231058.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 1

Drago

Legendary Member
From what I can see the UK version still uses the same Bafang motor?

None of the UK images I see show the motor with the required UK conformity plate.

Either way, its still an utter boat anchor. I wouldn't want it to be my legs propelling that when the battery runs dry.

PS - I wasn't recommending the Subway E, although it does do that which you seek. It was simply a convenient weight comparison.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jann71

jann71

Veteran
Spoke to my friendly local ebike dealer where I bought my current eBike.
He obviously wants me to buy a new bike from him and reckons he has something with my name on it.
going to look at a Riese & Muller Nevo 3 GT tomorrow 😄

CXRAndy

Guru
I looked at the RM Super-delite, but couldn't justify the £7-9K price tag.

I ordered a Chinese equivalent for £3k with extra battery.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Spoke to my friendly local ebike dealer where I bought my current eBike.
He obviously wants me to buy a new bike from him and reckons he has something with my name on it.
going to look at a Riese & Muller Nevo 3 GT tomorrow 😄

What ebike do you have now?

You describe it as a 'city/hybrid', so it seems unlikely to me the Nevo will do anything your existing ebike cannot.

OP
OP
jann71

jann71

Veteran
What ebike do you have now?

You describe it as a 'city/hybrid', so it seems unlikely to me the Nevo will do anything your existing ebike cannot.

I currently have the Bergamont ehorizon 6. I was thinking of having a 2nd eBike but after a test ride and the new motor I might sell mine and upgrade.

Top Bottom