Radical adjustable bar stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RD1

Regular
I would really appreciate your feedback on two designs - slightly longer telescoping section on latest with double bar clamp bolts.
Rotational angle adjustment that locks into the angle position of your choice and has a failsafe built-in.
In addition you can extend or retract the telescoping extension tube so that you can obtain the best possible comfortable position on any bike/various riding modes (racing/commuter/mountain biking/off road). Fits a standard A head collar clamp type on fork head tube or the old expansion tube inside the fork head tube. Really appreciate feedback ahead of design development and prototyping.
I can't add the images. if your want to see them please e mail richard.draper7@ntlworld.com
Thanks
Rich

Drago

Legendary Member
Can't you load them onto Photo bucket so we could see them.

Jody

Stubborn git
Can't you load them onto Photo bucket so we could see them.

Or better still press on the photo icon ^ and load them directly to the post.

As to the OP I can see where your idea is coming from but there are already stems on the market where the rise can be adjusted but for the majority of people once you have the right stem there is very little reason to keep changing the reach/angle.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I could see a market for them - especially with bike shops / fitters. I would worry about the strength of them on anything long term or anything you would crack up the power on.

OP
OP
R

RD1

Regular
I could see a market for them - especially with bike shops / fitters. I would worry about the strength of them on anything long term or anything you would crack up the power on.
They are 3-D design images so will photo and re post
They are on my LinkedIn in profile posts as well....
Cheers
Rich

What is the design brief? Why do you think these are necessary or useful features for stems? It doesn't look like you understand the historical problems with stems or the nature of the forces on them, particularly since you don't even use the right terminology. But let's see what you propose.

Jody

Stubborn git
I think new members need a certain number of posts before they can upload photos. I could be wrong.

Didn't think of that.

Jody

Stubborn git
.... or the nature of the forces on them, .

That was my concern from a MTB point of view. If its telescopic and height adjustable there will be at least two points that could cause a problem. If its built strong enough to withstand then is will weigh quite a bit more than a normal stem

OP
OP
R

RD1

Regular
They are 3-D design images so will photo and re post
They are on my LinkedIn in profile posts as well....
Cheers
Rich
Thanks.
Agreed- they have been designed by a highly qualified and experienced aero engineer who is expert in materials and design features fit for purpose. Various materials being considered.
Thx Rich

OP
OP
R

RD1

Regular
Yes v
That was my concern from a MTB point of view. If its telescopic and height adjustable there will be at least two points that could cause a problem. If its built strong enough to withstand then is will weigh quite a bit more than a normal stem
Yes valid points regards design/material/strength....some good feedback already...reply to Milkfloat regards design expertise and material selection being considered. From a known material volume my designer can probably calculate total weight in a chosen material...different weights/strengths for different use/bike type/off road/road ....quite a range to suit customers requirements...
Failsafe mechanism designed into the rotating mechanism and debating oval section for telescoping tubes or bead and groove....I prefer oval section..collar clamp to secure in place under dynamic load...
...!
Thanks
Rich

OP
OP
R

RD1

Regular
Didn't think of that.
Thanks Judy
You are right - I will keep posting/ trying
The messages on the forum said too big and problem up loading - prob not right format as they are 3-D design images but photos of same should be OK
Cheers
Rich

OP
OP
R

RD1

Regular
Thanks Judy
You are right - I will keep posting/ trying
The messages on the forum said too big and problem up loading - prob not right format as they are 3-D design images but photos of same should be OK
Cheers
Rich
Soz Jody not Judy - typo!

Top Bottom