Radical adjustable bar stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I note the US utility patent mentioned at least twice now. As an IP practitioner, I would just remind you that IP rights are territorial. Your audience in this forum is mostly outside the US. Disclosing your evolving product design could well be shooting yourself in the foot should you seek patent and/or design protection beyond the US. I hope you are already talking to a good European patent attorney.

If I'm honest, I can see this being used on a frame jig, or as part of some kind of set-up or bike-fit process. In that sense, the telescopic element has value and gives it an advantage over similar adjustable stems, which only adjust for angle.

As a road-going stem though, I think it may end up being necessarily over-engineered and therefore probably too heavy, too expensive or too unstable.

I agree but want to point out that these extending stems can be found on just about every bike-fit jig I've ever seen. They're also de-rigeur on most spin bikes in gyms, albeit with quick release mechanisms.

Additional Fab:
By definition of U.S. utility patent it is unique...
Cheers
Rich
I don't believe you have a unique product there and I think plenty of prior art exists, as per my picture below.

A utility patent describes a new article's use and application. Your design is not novel.

4062.jpg

I note the US utility patent mentioned at least twice now. As an IP practitioner, I would just remind you that IP rights are territorial. Your audience in this forum is mostly outside the US. Disclosing your evolving product design could well be shooting yourself in the foot should you seek patent and/or design protection beyond the US. I hope you are already talking to a good European patent attorney.

I don't think there is a foot to shoot.

I don't think there is a foot to shoot.
I'm inclined to agree but my speciality is trademarks, not patents, so I am not qualified to comment on that point. but you'll note I have not offered to recommend a good patent attorney, as from basic principles on patent that I do know a bit about, I think my colleagues' responses would be "move along, nothing to see".

OP
OP
R

RD1

Regular
I don't believe you have a unique product there and I think plenty of prior art exists, as per my picture below.

A utility patent describes a new article's use and application. Your design is not novel.

View attachment 346723

Thanks Yellow Saddle
The telescoping element on its own is not unique but the rotating adjustment mechanism is and combined with the telescoping sections is .... I have not seen one with the same rotating adjustment mechanism and telescoping sections combined...
Cheers
Rich

winjim

Smash the cistern
Does the stem cover the top of the steerer tube and if so, how have you arranged to tighten up the headset?

OP
OP
R

RD1

Regular
Does the stem cover the top of the steerer tube and if so, how have you arranged to tighten up the headset?

Thanks Winjim
Yes on the A head model shown here.
Good point - with this model it would have to be removed if the headset needed tightening. How often does the headset need tightening?
We had considered design mod that moved the adjustable rotating mechanism to allow access to the top of the steerer tube as you say but this might weaken the stem....or add cost.
Incidentally - our other model is a quill stem with expansion bolt - same adjustable rotating mechanism. The headset bearings are tightened by the hex nut on the frame head tube with that model?
Good feedback- we will change the design of the A head model if it is what people want....
Cheers
Rich

OP
OP
R

RD1

Regular

Thanks Velovoice
I have a good Patent attorney.
We will apply for further patents in the US and Europe plus...
The new design detail, for which we will apply, is inside the rotating adjustment mechanism that can't be seen therefore I have not disclosed it
But i am seeking feedback before proceeding with further patent applications.
Cheers
Rich

winjim

Smash the cistern
Thanks Winjim
Yes on the A head model shown here.
Good point - with this model it would have to be removed if the headset needed tightening. How often does the headset need tightening?
We had considered design mod that moved the adjustable rotating mechanism to allow access to the top of the steerer tube as you say but this might weaken the stem....or add cost.
Incidentally - our other model is a quill stem with expansion bolt - same adjustable rotating mechanism. The headset bearings are tightened by the hex nut on the frame head tube with that model?
Good feedback- we will change the design of the A head model if it is what people want....
Cheers
Rich
I think either you don't understand how a threadless headset works, or I don't understand how a threadless headset works.

Thanks Velovoice
I have a good Patent attorney.
We will apply for further patents in the US and Europe plus...
The new design detail, for which we will apply, is inside the rotating adjustment mechanism that can't be seen therefore I have not disclosed it
But i am seeking feedback before proceeding with further patent applications.
Cheers
Rich
Is this "good patent attorney" a "good European patent attorney"? You have blown your disclosure on a European cycling forum. Is that on the advice of your "good patent attorney"?

Never mind, it's your business, not mine. But simply repeating "I have a US patent" over and over again gives you no protection outside the US and here you are discussing your invention outside the US without any protection safely in place, so I hope for your sake you know what you're doing.

Top Bottom