Radio gaga

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I see the broadcast radio landscape is about to widen with the introduction of DAB+ technology.

Locally, 14 new stations have been confirmed, and I imagine other regions will be the same.

As a fairly early adopter of DAB, I imagine my sets won't be DAB+ compatible, so it's a good thing the proposed new stations on my patch don't look very appealing.

We are told existing DAB stations will continue to broadcast using the old technology for the 'foreseeable future'.

But rather like internal combustion engine cars, it appears the skids are under the current DAB system.

What are your thoughts on DAB+?

https://getdigitalradio.com/faqs/what-is-dab/

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Generally I get very good reception on DAB. But in the car, the signal seems to fade and then return, possibly when between broadcast stations, or whatever they are called.
I do like DAB for the clear sound from the stations. MW seems to be coming from a tin can. FM which was supposed to be turned off some years back still soldiers on fortunately.

DAB+ appears to be much better technology than DAB, which will be a benefit to you if you ever feel the need to change.

I like BBC 6Music which is not on FM, and the reception on medium wave 5Live is a dead loss at my caravan, so DAB is a good option.
Of course, if I MUST listen to something that's usually only on DAB, it's usually also on Freesat, so I do have ways...I occasionally listen to BBC World Service, and that's certainly better from the satellite than hunting down a decent shortwave signal!

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I don't listen to the radio these days but my mum used to listen to a DAB radio and it sounded awful. It turns out that there is a very good reason for that - it IS awful! Apparently, DAB+ could give better audio quality, but instead will probably be used to cram in even more crappy stations! :wacko:

I think that's about the strength of it.

Existing DAB stations vary in quality due to the number of kbps they are allocated.

5Live is poor, but deemed acceptable by the BBC because it is speech only.

Having said that, any DAB station is inferior to FM, more noticeably as you go up the scale to tuners and hi-fi amps and speakers.

Another benefit of DAB+ is I think it travels through the air better, so those who currently have rubbish DAB reception may find they can get up and running with DAB+.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I was an earlier adopter of DAB too and suffered some real problems that were mainly hardware related. I must admit that the majority of my radio listening is over the internet now, it is only the car where I use DAB.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I was an earlier adopter of DAB too and suffered some real problems that were mainly hardware related.

Same here, my first DAB radio wouldn't work on the kitchen bench, although one I bought a year or two later does.

I even lashed out on a chimney top aerial for the DAB hi-fi tuner.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Another benefit of DAB+ is I think it travels through the air better, so those who currently have rubbish DAB reception may find they can get up and running with DAB+.
Pedantically, DAB signals in the same frequency band travel just the same as DAB+. The difference is that the receiver is capable of decoding weaker and noisier signals, thus giving a potential coverage area improvement with the same transmitter power. As stated, DAB+ uses a slightly newer and more efficient codec to provide a choice of either better quality or greater capacity.

Sharky

Guru
DAB at home, but FM in the car.
Annoyingly, I discovered that I can get Radio Caroline on DAB at a location about 5 miles from our house, overlooking the QE2 bridge, but when I drive back home, the signal disappears.

Think DAB was pushed as the “emperor’s new clothes”. Never been that impressed. Cr@p in the car in our part of the world. Mostly now use internet radio via Sonos. Still got a nice FM tuner but it gets little use

Top Bottom