Radio gaga

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Ah. So DAB is the same thing as our Sirius? Got it.
Not quite, it’s terrestrial rather than satellite based and there is no subscription. The network carries BBC stations (non-commercial publicly funded) and dozens of advertising driven offerings.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Not quite, it’s terrestrial rather than satellite based and there is no subscription. The network carries BBC stations (non-commercial publicly funded) and dozens of advertising driven offerings.

Ok. I'm learning something new today.

lane

Veteran
Never had DAB and now looks like I missed the boat. Never mind it's all on line now so rarely listen to broadcast radio.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I have DAB in the car only, I like it and don't get any major problems with quality or loss of signal. I'd love to listen to radio at home (there's so many excellent programmes broadcasting in the late evening) but it'd be antisocial to bung headphones on at what is apparently the key time of the day for a family. So I get talked at a lot, and if I can get away with it I read a book in the small gaps in between.

I do (weirdly) actively love MW radio sports coverage for its crappy quality, I quite often listen to football reports on Saturdays and commentary of European matches in mid week while I'm out walking of an evening. It's evocative and atmospheric in a way that quality radio could never replicate, the distance is tangible almost, you can feel that the broadcaster is talking live from Budapest or even Brechin, and it adds to the romance of it all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
the broadcaster is talking live from Budapest and it adds to the romance of it all.

Test Match Special in the small hours from one of our former dominions was similarly evocative.
Every night I drag the 700lb battery home from the bike shop where it wasmon charge and listen to Marconi shouting rude words across the atlantic, thinking no one can hear him.

At the garage where I worked people used to bring in the accumulator to charge for their wireless sets.

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
When I'm in the car - which isn't so much now - I listen to some good R4 dramas on BBC sounds.

Ste T.

Guru
Our DAB radio in the bathroom absolutely devoured batteries so we went back to a little FM model that's more than adequate and the batteries last a month or more.
The kitchen radio is DAB but everywhere else out and about or working round the house or garden I use internet radio on my phone to earphones via Bluetooth.
To be honest I'm over doing it because theres barely a time in my day when I'm not listening to either net radio or podcasts.

Top Bottom