Radio Programme about cycling tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
There are 3 or 4 radio programmes that automatically have me reaching for the off switch. 'You and Yours' is one, 'Moneybox Live' another as well as Thought for the Day and the 'Morning Service'. Another, is 'In Business'. However, while desperately trying to put work off for another half hour, I was just reading the schedules and noticed that 'In Business' tonight will be looking at 'the increasing popularity of bicycles in the UK' as well as how the bicycle industry in the UK (do we still have one?) is responding to it. It will also be looking at Gov.t planning of traffic systems for cyclists (or lack of it) It's on R4 at 8-30 tonight- might be worth a listen.

Ooh, ta. Radio 4, is it?

just jim

I like "In Business" - I like the non-technical aspects of it, and Peter Day's pragmatic handling of "The Next Big Thing".

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'll be necking a pint of Copper Dragon's Best Bitter at that time. Will catch it tomorrow on iPlayer.

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
just jim said:
I like "In Business" - I like the non-technical aspects of it, and Peter Day's pragmatic handling of "The Next Big Thing".

Yes I'm probably doing the programme a disservice as I've never in fact listened to it to be honest. The old hippy in me naturally recoils from anything with the word 'business' in it!

Crankarm

Guru
I reckon RLJing, pavement cyclists, Lycra louts and not paying VED will all be mentioned in the first 4.5 minutes and helmets by 6 minutes. There will be absolutely nothing from the perspective of proper cyclists talking about cycling, the accessories or components and bicycles they purchase. The emphasis will be on the cycling industry as an anachronism and cyclists as either eccentrics or a nuisance that are tolerated. The BBC have a history of broadcasting very stilted and poorly researched programmes on cycling issues.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Looking at the contributor list (Brompton, Go-Cycle, Wiggle), I suspect it'll be a bit more in depth and business orientated than that.

Good lord, there's a pic of the presenter talking to Mike Burrows! He washed my shorts once. Mike Burrows, not the presenter.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crankarm said:
I reckon RLJing, pavement cyclists, Lycra louts and not paying VED will all be mentioned in the first 4.5 minutes and helmets by 6 minutes. There will be absolutely nothing from the perspective of proper cyclists talking about cycling, the accessories or components and bicycles they purchase. The emphasis will be on the cycling industry as an anachronism and cyclists as either eccentrics or a nuisance that are tolerated. The BBC have a history of broadcasting very stilted and poorly researched programmes on cycling issues.

Seven, no eight, minutes in, and you're proved wrong...:biggrin:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Interesting programme. Didn't know Peter Day (the presenter) was a cyclist, but why would I. Good he bigged up Brompton, the biggest bicycle manufacturer in the UK. Quite interesting about those electric Go cycles. Some sales assistant in the local Evans shop was telling me how good they were.

Crankarm

Guru
The piece about Brompton was good, but then if you have seen Andrew Ritchie's talk on Youtube on how Brompton was born there was nothing new. The Wiggle piece was ok ish. Why didn't they tallk about CRC as they are much larger. Interesting to hear from Mike Burrows. No contribution from cyclists as consumers either as cummuters or tourists. Brief mention of the Cycle2Work scheme.

The pieces about the electric Go-Cycles and Worksman bikes in the US were bizarre. Not exactly mainstream and I suspect added to fill out the programme. But of course the Beeb had to get the US in as all it's current affairs programmes are US centric. Nothing about the Netherlands or Scandinavia where cycling is more mainstream. The people in the US are still in love with their fat SUVS and are responsible for contributing to the highest global CO2 emissions of any country.

On reflection there are better ways to waste 30-40 minutes.

chap

Veteran
Arch said:
Good lord, there's a pic of the presenter talking to Mike Burrows! He washed my shorts once. Mike Burrows, not the presenter.

I was about to remark that he was a lucky man, until it sank in. Pray tell, why did he wash your shorts?

:tongue:

Top Bottom