radio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
I just use my Sony Ericson phone. It has an FM facility and with one ear piece in, I listen to Radio 1, 4 or Radio Scotland depending to what I want to listen to on my commute.

Tynan

Veteran
indeed, engine note, all sorts of things

the people that listen to music will assure you that it neither distracts them or impairs their audio awareness though

Amanda P

Legendary Member
There's a radio built into my steam powered IRiver mp3 player which works very well.

Or I have a Roberts Test Match Special radio which recieves Long Wave so I can listen to, well, Test Match Special and the other dubious delights of Radio 4 Long Wave.

Radio reception is pretty dodgy round here, and many radios don't work well. The Roberts does the doing very nicely (although it does need good batteries to do so).

jimboalee

Radio. ? :smile:

After commuting in London, Birmingham and Coventry within the last twenty years, "Bewildered" is the only thing that I can say.

dodgy

I can't see much problem with listening to the radio while riding. Though I'm not sure if I'd do it in a big city, or at least I'd try it first to see then make my mind up.

Tynan said:
the people that listen to music will assure you that it neither distracts them or impairs their audio awareness though

I used to think this, but since stopping using my mp3 player a couple of years back now, personally I wouldn't go back to listening to anything other than the traffic.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
When your route is dull, and there isn't much traffic, why not?

I know most people commute through cities, and I don't use a radio on the occasions when I travel in traffic, but don't assume that everyone is constantly traffic jamming. I'm not, and I have a suspicion that Country Joe isn't either.

Must be something about that name....

Rob S

I wouldn't worry too much about a pocket DAB radio for the time being....reception whilst on the move is pretty crap (including as a pedestrian......yes I really am that carefree, walking around completely unaware of pedestrians behind me). And unlike analogue interference you can't really listen to a stuttering digital signal for long without giving up altogether.

If you want MW (for Radio 5 or Virgin) then I can recommend the Sony SRF-S84 which has very good MW reception and runs on one AAA battery. About £26 from Amazon. I dangle one from a custom made hole on my bibshort straps.

411HXKV85ML_SL500_AA280_.jpg

They also do a digital tuning version for preset station convenience but that's about £65!

jimboalee

There are two threads in 'Commuting' talking about newspaper articles which infer "hatred toward cyclists".

It's no wonder motorists get infuriated by cyclists who pedal along listening to personal stereos.
The message they receive is "I'm irresponsible" and "I don't care".

One of the threads goes on to describe cyclists as "Vunerable".
Yes you are! , if you negate your audible attention of the world around you by filling your ears with music.

Busy streets or country lanes, an approaching car is still a killer.

Rob S

Listen to it with an earpiece in one ear only if you want to listen to music/talk radio but are concerned about your image in motorists eyes or that you might not hear really loud traffic or wind noise.

jimboalee

Where's YOUR evidence?

My career has been in testing motorcars. A few of those years was in co-operation with the Crash Test Facility at The Motor Industry Research Association, Millbrook and the Transport Research Laboratory.

I've seen hi-speed videos of a car hitting a bicycle.
I've seen a video of a van hitting a bicycle.

Jaguar's XK has a 'Pedestrian collision impact' system which flips the bonnet up when an object hits the front of the car.
Cyclists ( Crash test dummies ) were included in the calibration of this feature. ( Some expensive bikes were scrapped within this work :biggrin: )
Amongst the engineers working on this project, it was said "it's their own fault if they're not aware" when 'cyclist's roadmanship' was discussed.

Not 100% my opinion, because I think EVERY roaduser should be aware.

ps. DO NOT smoke a pipe if you have a steering wheel airbag.

Top Bottom