radio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Jim, I couldn't care less what your experience is, I still think it's not dangerous to ride with headphones in.

Oh, and calm down :biggrin:

jimboalee

Safe driving and riding needs concentration.
Avoid distractions when driving or riding such as
  • loud music (this may mask other sounds)
  • trying to read maps
  • inserting a cassette or CD or tuning a radio
  • arguing with your passengers or other road users
  • eating and drinking
  • smoking

Be considerate. Be careful of and considerate towards all types of road users, especially those requiring extra care (see Rule 204). You should
  • try to be understanding if other road users cause problems; they may be inexperienced or not know the area well
  • be patient; remember that anyone can make a mistake
  • not allow yourself to become agitated or involved if someone is behaving badly on the road. This will only make the situation worse. Pull over, calm down and, when you feel relaxed, continue your journey
  • slow down and hold back if a road user pulls out into your path at a junction. Allow them to get clear. Do not over-react by driving too close behind to intimidate them
  • not throw anything out of a vehicle, for example, cigarette ends, cans, paper or carrier bags. This can endanger other road users, particularly motorcyclists and cyclists
I shall calm down now,,xx(

dodgy

xx(
By the way, I can still hear other vehicles when I have my headphones on. Not that it makes any difference to the way I ride, I don't jump off the road everytime I hear a car approaching from behind.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Well, Country Joe (the original poster) can't say he hasn't been warned about the putative dangers of using his radio.

But we all have the freedom to make the choice, and long may that continue.

OP
OP
country joe

country joe

i think its common sense, i dont cycle in a City, i have used a small Radio,
and as long as you dont have it blasting, you can hear traffic coming behind you,
i dont listen to music mainly 5 live.

I can't hear traffic over the wind noise at anything over 15mph anyway. Lstening to the radio might distract me, but it wouldn't make me miss traffic noise.

Others seem to be able to hear aproaching cars quite well though. I can hear them if I twist my head my 45 degrees.

Maybe I have weird shaped ears.xx(

Rob S

country joe said:
just purchased a sony walkman SRF 59 Radio for under a Tenner on Ebay,
Are they any good?

I've had various Sony personal radios over the years and they've all had very good medium wave reception...whereas other makes (most notably Phillips) I've tended to have problems with, always having to reposition it in my pocket to get constant decent reception.

jimboalee

For really good radio reception while riding a bike, unscrew the back off the radio set, find the antenna terminal, attach a wire, loop the wire once round your neck and fasten the loose end to one of your rear spokes.

Ride as fast as you can....

Rob S

jimboalee said:
For really good radio reception while riding a bike, unscrew the back off the radio set, find the antenna terminal, attach a wire, loop the wire once round your neck and fasten the loose end to one of your rear spokes.

Ride as fast as you can....

Get back to your crash test dummy job.

gavintc

Guru
I see jim that you really cannot let this one lie. Have a look at the OP's comments. Facetious comments add nothing to this request. Your earlier comments suggest an inability to accept that you can cycle and listen to a radio quite safely. Currently on my commute, a car headlights warn you of an approaching car long before you could hear it. Personally, I keep the right ear free and have no problems hearing both the radio and a car coming. Although as someone else has said the wind over the hear does tend to make hearing tricky.

Finally, I presume from your comment that you do not advocate listening to the radio when in a car.

jimboalee

I will get back to the Crash Test Dummies. I will also get back to my studying cases of RTI s involving cyclists ( as part of Land Rover's Automotive Safety department - on behalf of our collision avoidance development ).

There are not many collisions involving cyclists, two or three each day, but the ones that arise all sound very similar - the motorist blames the cyclist.
When the cyclist is killed, of course he hasn't got much to say about it.

If and when, the officers at the scene discover your corpse is wearing a personal stereo, the driver of the motorised vehicle will probably get away with a £200 fine. If no-one comes forward as a witness - as is usually the case - there is no evidence to condradict what the motorist says that the cyclist was riding eratically, there will be no charges against the motorist.

Another irresponsibe cyclist. - Tick the box.

jimboalee

BTW FYI.

The worst place to be is India.
The young cyclists ride round wearing stereos.
The tuktuks hit them and the police don't give a toss. :ohmy:

dodgy

You're grasping at straws now Jim. The point is, that there's no evidence that wearing headphones leads to a higher risk of coming a cropper. You point to a risk that there is perception of more danger and that perception could be used against a dead cyclist. So what? The motorist could also claim that "he just rode straight into me officer".
The thing is, that dead cyclist could just as easily not be wearing headphones.
Why are you turning this into a crusade? Do you go around warning people of trip hazards in the workplace?

Top Bottom