Radiohead's New Album - a question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

Well, for those of you who don't know, Radiohead will be releasing their new album next week. It's available to download from their website (http://www.inrainbows.com/Store/Quickindex.html) but, get this, you choose how much you want to pay for it (although you have to pay a minimum of 45p for admin, apparently).

So my question is, what do you think the 'average price' of the album will be? How much will people pay?

Panter

Just call me Chris...
No idea, sorry.
But thanks for the heads-up, I love Radiohead, I'll go and check it out :biggrin:

If you really can pay what you want then I would imagine the average price paid is gonna be pretty low.

Bigtallfatbloke

Much as I hope they get a decent pay cheque I somehow doubt it. I think the bulk will just take what they can for free (or a pittance) and tell their mates they paid £15.

It is bloody difficult to sell your music on the internet in a culture where kids believe it is their God given right to have access to free music and films.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Much as I hope they get a decent pay cheque I somehow doubt it. I think the bulk will just take what they can for free (or a pittance) and tell their mates they paid £15.

It is bloody difficult to sell your music on the internet in a culture where kids believe it is their God given right to have access to free music and films.

Thinking a bit more about it - do you reckon people might buy the album for pretty much nothing, then (obviously if the album is good) think 'wow, that's amazing' and buy it again from the website (essentially a donation to Radiohead) or do you think it's very unlikely?

Bigtallfatbloke

..dunno...put it this way.. I wouldnt pay for it if I didnt have to. I would be more likely to pay for an unknown act if I felt they deserved my support...but then again I'm a tight fisted b'stard.:biggrin:

We had a debate about this in work today. The concensus among the Radiohead fans was £10, although I would personally pay £12, which is the same for a brand new - bought on the day of release - album. However, this would apply if the only way to get the album was to download it.

As it turns out, at least two of us are buying the discbox, so the price has been set for us.

I must be one of those kids expecting free music downloads;):biggrin:

Musicians are having to change their expectations, recorded music is quickly becoming more of an advert to see a band live than a commodity in itself.

Lets be honest, for 40 years music has been gravy train for overpaid luvvies agents and execs the smart bands know they will still make a fantastic living from radio play at £20 a spin and sell out gigs if they are any good.

Free downloads may cost the big bands a couple of rollers each year but what they really hurt is the whole middle man industry and compact disc producers.

Fairly priced music will still sell, try Amy Mcdonald's new album great young singer songwriter making herself rich from a quality album at £5.49 on itunes, lots of air play and sell out gigs.

Nobody is going hungry here!!!

KitsuneAndy

starseven said:
I must be one of those kids expecting free music downloads;):biggrin:

Well I certainly wouldn't pay for anything Radiohead have done since OK Computer and I even thought that was downhill from The Bends.

U

User482

KitsuneAndy said:
Well I certainly wouldn't pay for anything Radiohead have done since OK Computer and I even thought that was downhill from The Bends.

Agreed. Anyone know if they've rediscovered how to write a tune with this album?

CarnageAX

Bigtallfatbloke said:

Whats all this talk of Kids leading the way. You have never recorded anything off the radio before now to play back later? That is piracy.

Downloading music and films from the net does'nt do ENOUGH damage to the massive loaded pockets of the film and music industry.

Just my opinion...

barq

I don't believe the music industry's claim that every illegal download equals a stolen CD because that presumes the downloader would otherwise have bought the CD.

The greatest illegal downloaders are also the people who spend the most money on music. There are a lot of people who listen to MP3s which get them excited about a band or genre and then they make purchases. In a sense it can be a bit like listening to the radio where hearing promotes buying - record companies are happy to spend a load of money on plugging records, making promo videos and sending out free promo copies to DJs because they believe it builds a customer base.

Big Bren

My wife and I are massive Radiohead fans - she more so than me. I'll download it and I'll happily pay a tenner, which seems to me to be a fair exchange.

I don't really buy the whole subversive, counter-culture, stick it to the man downloading nonsense; stealing is stealing, and I don't do that.

Bren

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
But who drew your avatar, Big Bren? Did you pay for it? Did you draw it yourself? I take your point about not stealing, and I feel the same myself, but presumably Radiohead (I REALLY don't like their 'music' myself :biggrin:) are not doing this naively. The very concept of doing it is marketig for the Radiohead 'brand', for want of a better word, and they know that somewhere down the line there'll be a payoff, even though they might not express it like that or even admit to it.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Fnaar said:
But who drew your avatar, Big Bren? Did you pay for it? Did you draw it yourself? I take your point about not stealing, and I feel the same myself, but presumably Radiohead (I REALLY don't like their 'music' myself :biggrin:) are not doing this naively. The very concept of doing it is marketig for the Radiohead 'brand', for want of a better word, and they know that somewhere down the line there'll be a payoff, even though they might not express it like that or even admit to it.

Oooh! That's cynical...but I guess there's a truth to it. One cannot be opposed to a system and be successful within it, without in some way being part of it and hence, perhaps, complicit?

Top Bottom