Raeligh Oakland vs Viking prelude

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juli

Regular
I'm thinking on buying a Raleigh Oakland ladies or a Viking prelude. I'm looking for a town bike for less than £200. I was wondering .I was wondering if anyone has heard about this range of bikes or maybe can suggest any other options?
I would be very much appreciate you help!
Thank you

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
They seem to be much of a muchness to be honest. The Viking has 7 speeds (most likely 14 to 28 teeth on the rear) but according to the info I can find it is a basic high-tensile steel frame which will be strong but not light.

The Raleigh has 6 speeds (also 14 to 28 teeth on the rear) but their website claims it's a cro-moly steel frame (quite rare at this price range) which means it will be a slightly lighter, stronger frame.

Both are reasonable but not exciting bikes for the money. The Decathlon range of bikes might also be worth a look in this price range. Link

slow coach

Regular
I'm thinking on buying a Raleigh Oakland ladies or a Viking prelude. I'm looking for a town bike for less than £200. I was wondering .I was wondering if anyone has heard about this range of bikes or maybe can suggest any other options?
I would be very much appreciate you help!
Thank you
Being a bloke can't comment from experience but the prelude gets good buyer reviews on amazon the raleigh has mixed reviews although the poor reviews don't relate to the bike's performance . looks like either would be a decent buy. As always the best thing to do is visit a few bike shops and have a good look around. If you buy from a bike shop you should at least get a bike that is a good fit which is probably the most important thing to get right. Good Luck.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You might also consider second hand from the likes of ebay, gumtree or preloved. You might get quite a bargain as ladies tend to go for less than mens for some reason. If you can try to get one thats been little used. Be sure you get the correct size and also budget for a helmet.

Ivan Ardon

Not the ladies model, but I bought a similarly priced Viking for pottering to work and back on a couple of years ago. It wasn't a good bike, being overly heavy and with too-cheap components.

I replaced the bottom bracket, the awful saddle, the cheapo tyres and the terrible brake pads which turned it into a reasonably competent commuter but there was no getting away from the fact it was a cheap heavy bike.

The paintwork was nice though, and the rack and mudguards were fairly good quality and fitted well.

Top Bottom