Rain and Spectacles...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Like @Dogtrousers, the main issue I have is with steaming up when I stop or slow significantly on a climb.

On the commute I wear my normal glasses and give them a wipe over when I arrive at work.

On longer rides I wear some Bolle sports glasses with prescription inserts - these are particularly prone to misting up, but Muc-off do a great anti-fog product. I put that on both sides of the prescription insert and the inside of the outer lens. It works wonders!

Ive never used a cycling cap, but I have always thought that restricting airflow over the top of the glasses would increase the misting effect at low speeds?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ive never used a cycling cap, but I have always thought that restricting airflow over the top of the glasses would increase the misting effect at low speeds?
Maybe, but it's not going to be restricting the airflow unless you're ramming the cap down on your head to leave no gap between peak and glasses like some Village People policeman tribute.

I tend to wear a baseball cap because the peak's longer, but one with a chinstrap to defeat the added airflow trying to lift it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whilst I'm not myself a glasses wearer (apart from reading) it is possible to reduce steaming up on glasses or visors / gas masks by smearing them with washing up liquid and wiping with a cloth. The residue of detergent breaks down the surface temsion so you don't get the little drops of water which form the steaming up. It may also break up raindrops in same way. Worth a go.? Licking them does similar.

RegG

Über Member
Or you could try a pair of these.....

wiperglasses.jpg

Dan B

Disengaged member
Whilst I'm not myself a glasses wearer (apart from reading) it is possible to reduce steaming up on glasses or visors / gas masks by smearing them with washing up liquid and wiping with a cloth. The residue of detergent breaks down the surface temsion so you don't get the little drops of water which form the steaming up. It may also break up raindrops in same way. Worth a go.? Licking them does similar.
Obviously don't try both at once as the washing up liquid tastes disgusting

iluvmybike

Über Member
I use the Dual Eyewear glasses which have a little reader in the lower part of the lens so I can see my Garmin and/or read a map and it saves me having to carry expensive glasses. The lens come with different strengths of the reader. Still a prob in rain but as others have said a peak helps

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Perhaps a cut potato applied to the lenses? The starch left behind seems to do a bit of a job in this way.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
In scuba diving you spit in your mask and rub it on the lenses which stops them steaming up underwater. Americans are a bit prissy so use a special anti-fog spray instead. There is the splendid story of an American diver asking "has anyone got any anti-fog?" "sure mate, pass us your mask".... you can guess the rest

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
im new to glasses from this year, im interested in this thread as the most i do when im out is wipe them on my t shirt, if i can find a sweat free area on it lol

my prescription is light so i can see ok enough to cycle without wearing them but i wear them, i tend to suck it up in the rain and accept there is gonna be rainy blobs that disapear and i put up with them, in torrential rain i would probably take them off though plus my helmet has a wee peak bit on the front that helps to shield a wee bit if my face goes down more :smile:

FWIW, I found the peak on a cycling cap better than the peak on my Specialized Chamonix - it's lower, and easier to adjust if you've not set it quite right for keeping the rain off. Helmet peaks always seem to sit a bit too high up to be effective at blocking the rain, ime.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Mist is usually much worse than rain, which is just about bearable. Have been riding along wondering why cars aren't using their fogs, until I took my glasses off and realised that they were covered in a fine layer of mist, and it was them, not the air, which was turning opaque.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Helmets1.jpg

On a serious note: if you do try Rain X bear in mind the classic stuff is meant for glass and can apparently damage plastic. They do a different version for plastic. I believe almost all prescription glasses have plastic lenses these days.

Queue many comments from people who've used classic Rain X on their glasses for years without issue:

Top Bottom