Rain and Spectacles...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Another basic question...

As a specs wearer, I try never to ride in the rain. I don't particularly like riding in the rain anyway.
But it must be asked: there must be plenty of you who go out in all weathers who wear specs, so how do maintain visibility?

And no, contact lenses are not an option for me...

IME it's a bugger.
A peak on a cap or helmet helps, as does speed, but if it is really peeing down, a wipe with your finger sometimes helps a bit, but ultimately it's a case of stopping and cleaning with a cloth.
Prior to having my eye lenses replaced earlier in the year with the result that other than for reading I no longer need glasses, I seriously considered safety glasses if I knew if was going to be raining hard. At least then once the safety glasses became obscured, I could simply put them in my back pocket and carry on with my normal glasses, without having to stop and wipe them.

adamhearn

Veteran
Peaked helmet or a cap to keep the rain off [as much as possible]. I wouldn't use a coating on a plastic lens myself - being able to see is expensive enough as it is without inadvertently damaging lenses myself :smile: A finger wipe can last for a while but quite honestly short term benefits don't mean much over a long distance. I also have similar issues with a motorcycle helmet visor!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Do those new glasses not get wet then? I'm struggling to understand the benefit of wearing expensive glasses in the rain? My Oakleys still get wet and they were £300

youre missing the point of my post.

I dont wear my own £200 specs when on the bike but opt for glasses/shades made for cycling or sports in general.

I dont want to be £200 out of pocket again incase of another mishap.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
As others have said, a cap helps.

Personally, I find the microsuede on the Specialized BG mitts thumb wipe excellent for clearing glasses - non smeary and very effective. If you have a top tube bag, and can stow a Spontex window cloth in there - those are very good for coated optics.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Cap with long peak and chinstrap. Anti fog goggles. Occasional wipes with the rubbery bit of my sealskinz.

Dan B

Disengaged member
If I could go back in time twenty five years and give teenage me one piece of cycling related advice, it would be to get a cap for cycling in the rain

vickster

Legendary Member
to wearing prescription glasses when cycling. (I thought that was pretty clear with my original post)

That's fine if you don't need to see where you're going safely. If raining, I'd prefer my eyes covered to stop the rain going in them and I look ridiculous in caps

You said you wear Tifosi cycling glasses or other sunglasses most of the time...presumably not when it's raining then or you'd have exactly the same issue as with Rx glasses ;)

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
That's fine if you don't need to see where you're going safely. If raining, I'd prefer my eyes covered to stop the rain going in them and I look ridiculous in caps

You said you wear Tifosi cycling glasses or other sunglasses most of the time...presumably not when it's raining then or you'd have exactly the same issue as with Rx glasses ;)

Well, im not completely as blind as a bat (not yet anyway) and i can see far enough ahead of me without prescription lenses on. I wear the Tifosi's to keep all elements out of my eyes (including bugs) I switch back to prescriptions when im off the bike though.

xzenonuk

Veteran
im new to glasses from this year, im interested in this thread as the most i do when im out is wipe them on my t shirt, if i can find a sweat free area on it lol

my prescription is light so i can see ok enough to cycle without wearing them but i wear them, i tend to suck it up in the rain and accept there is gonna be rainy blobs that disapear and i put up with them, in torrential rain i would probably take them off though plus my helmet has a wee peak bit on the front that helps to shield a wee bit if my face goes down more :smile:

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
I have to wear prescription glasses or sunglasses. I find that the visor on the helmet keeps off the rain most of the time. I have never broken glasses while cycling or worried about doing so.
Don't overthink it.

Top Bottom