Rain Jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

I've noticed some folks wearing white or transparent small light rain jackets over their top half. Where can I buy one?

vickster

Legendary Member
Bike shop? Google white or clear cycling jacket
E.g.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-squadra-long-water-resistant-jacket

Expect to get sweaty in almost every rain jacket

Last edited:

GGJ

Veteran
They're great for keeping out the cold chilly wind and will keep you reasonably dry but expect to experience the 'boil-in-the-bag' effect if you put the hammer down

IMG_1132.jpg

13 rider

Guru
I have an Endurance packable mac . Like most jackets it's not waterproof but showerproof and keeps the worst of the rain off and is not too bad at the boil in the bag syndrome . It packs small enough to fit in a Jersey pocket so nice to have with you on a iffy day

Globalti

Legendary Member
Boil in the Bag? Not true. I have the Castelli clear(ish) jacket and I have only used it once in anger, which was in the London 100 that was shortened to 86 miles due to that American hurricane that arrived in southern Britain. The rain was absolutely biblical; I have never cycled in rain as heavy. The jacket is slightly stretchy so it fits snugly without flapping and it is somehow water repellent and breathable; I was amazed to find that I stayed mostly dry and not sweaty despite the rain pouring down me in rivulets. It weighs almost nothing and rolls up into a small bundle so it fits well in a jersey pocket. I don't know what it's made from, I'm wondering if it's some kind of polymer similar to the Goretex layer in a conventional laminated jacket. The only downside of the jacket is that being a single skin, it's fragile.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Endura FS260. Very waterproof, very not sweaty.

vickster

Legendary Member
Better off riding in a bin bag...

I've tried a few packable bags, I mean jackets, nothing comes close to one of these:
http://www.arcteryx.com/product.asp...s&materials=GORE-TEX_Pro&model=Beta-LT-Jacket

Gore-tex Pro material is where it's at. Expensive though.
Not available in white or clear either as requested by the OP. Sounds like he is looking more for a packable race cape rather than a full on anorak or waterproof

@Glasgow44 perhaps you can elaborate on what you are looking for in the jacket? Showerproof or full on garment for long rides in the rain? I'm not aware of cyclists wearing jackets except on their top half so that bit is obvious ;)

If protection from the rain is required, goretex jackets can be folded into a roomy jersey pocket, softshells are deceptively packable, the colour doesn't matter quite as much! Honestly, you can't beat em.

Top Bottom