Rain Jersey

Is a Gabba worth it?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stalagmike

Enormous member
After umming and ahhing for a while about buying windstoppers, softshells, shells, gilets and packamacs, I think I have now missed the boat for this winter. So now I am looking at a rain jersey to try and do several of the above jobs as an almost 'all season' garment to see me through until high summer. Gabba / Perfetto seems the obvious choice but they are eyewateringly priced. What's your thoughts / recommendations?

vickster

Legendary Member

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've a 2016 brickmate cape for when I'm not on the road bike and it's not too windy and a kaginabag (clones available) for other times which I must have had for a decade and I use with some rainlegs... but I'm not very sweaty so the lack of breathability doesn't bother me. Cheap waterproofs for me! :thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
Looks the part. I have seen Gabbas on sale at the same price point though. Have you got the sportful one? I mean can you vouch for the quality?
No. I have sportful shorts which are excellent. And I don't much like castelli

Try them on, decide for yourself

I have largely Sportful kit and the Fiandre stuff is excellent. I don't have that particular piece, but I do have the fiandre jersey (a little less waterproof but warmer) and the fiandre 'top', which is a very thin windproof / rain resistant thing. Both of those are fine in light to moderate rain so long as you're investing some effort. If I were buying again, I'd probably buy the jacket @vickster linked as the jersey is very similar but warmer I also use Sportful short and tights and the quality of all pieces I've bought has been very good. Fit is like Castelli (I'm told) as they are sister companies, but Sportful branding is rather more subtle. I've worn the fiandre jersey for about 500 hours and it shows no signs of wear at all, so I'd say longevity is good. There are lots of very positive reviews on that jacket though, so read for yourself - it's very good value at that price.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I spent quite a bit of money on various non-Gabba versions. In the end I sold them all and finally got the Gabba and would replace it tomorrow if needed. It is a great bit of kit. Hunt around a bit and you can get the short sleeve version for under £80. I got mine for about £70 after some careful price matching and voucher codes.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
No. I have sportful shorts which are excellent. And I don't much like castelli

Try them on, decide for yourself
Good idea! I'd forgotten you can actually do that. :laugh:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~

Looks the part. I have seen Gabbas on sale at the same price point though. Have you got the sportful one? I mean can you vouch for the quality?

I have the Castelli Alpha Wind Jersey thats literally the same product, made in the exact same factory but with a different brand stamped on it. I have worn it with a light baselayer in 0-5'c and everything's fine so long as you keep peddling. The moment you stop you will get cold pretty fast if its chilly outdoors.

If youre after a softshell, I recommend a Endura WIndchill II or something from Gore -- Gore is pricey but their stuff is pretty good normally.

I have the Castelli Alpha Wind Jersey thats literally the same product, made in the exact same factory but with a different brand stamped on it.
Respectfully, that isn't the same product. It's a very similar product to the Sportful wind jersey I described above, but it's different from the Sportful light windstopper jacket also linked. All these items are windproof, waterproof and warm in varying degree and they're quite hard to differentiate just looking at photos and specs, but they do have different strengths. That Castelli jersey will - very roughly - be warmer but less waterproof than the Sportful jacket, and equally windproof. These broadly softshell type things are very difficult to choose as their optimal conditions of use are quite narrow, whilst their 'pretty good, you'll be fine' conditions are pretty broad - the latter point is of course rather useful :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
I spent quite a bit of money on various non-Gabba versions. In the end I sold them all and finally got the Gabba and would replace it tomorrow if needed. It is a great bit of kit. Hunt around a bit and you can get the short sleeve version for under £80. I got mine for about £70 after some careful price matching and voucher codes.
Does the OP want long or short sleeves?

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
I'd be happy with either I think. SS with arm warmers or LS. Have to say price is main concern. I realise you get what you pay for, but some of these jackets cost more than my bike.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'd be happy with either I think. SS with arm warmers or LS. Have to say price is main concern. I realise you get what you pay for, but some of these jackets cost more than my bike.

My tip - sign up to Zeek.me and wait for some Evans Vouchers to appear at 10% off or more, then get Evans to price match Merlin Then purchase via Evans using Quidco. Bobs your uncle, you have saved enough cash to justify the Gabba, by getting one about £70.

Top Bottom