Rain or sweat ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Just as I was about to start my commute home tonight there were clouds as dark as I've seen in a while. So, put on my Altura Pocket Rocket, got my head down and blasted through what was an incredible downpour. Absolutely dripping 15 minutes in to the ride and out comes the sun, instantly turning me into the boil in the bag syndrome. Wet on the outside, sweat on the inside !

My question is, which do you tend to do, wear a waterproof but kick up a sweat or get soaked from the rain ?

Fuzzball

If I know I am going to push hard on ride get wet, if I am taking it easy recovery ride then jacket on sweat it is!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 2452746, member: 259"]Quite right. But I put a cap on if it's tossing down as I hate the feel of rain on my head.[/quote]

I always wear a baseball cap on my commute whatever the weather.

Reactions: gaz

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
In mild temperatures, stop and take jacket off if on the commute to work ^_^
Just get wet if out for fun or errands.
Only need to keep hair dry, as I get head colds easily, then I have to go to bed wearing this:

Night_Cap_puffle_hat.png

:laugh:

David_Daft

Regular
I see cyclist at this time of year with the vey thin, transparent anorak things on but nothing covering their legs. I always carry leggings, I should imagine on a road bike, obviously with no mud guards, it's gonna be uncomfortable with no leggings, am I missing something?

In mild temperatures, stop and take jacket off if on the commute to work ^_^
Just get wet if out for fun or errands.
Only need to keep hair dry, as I get head colds easily, then I have to go to bed wearing this:

Night_Cap_puffle_hat.png

:laugh:

What's your nickname? " Big Head", by any chance ? :ohmy:

Globalti

Legendary Member
The problem with rainwear is that anything with Goretex is going to be a laminate and so will be heavy and too bulky to roll up and stuff in a jersey pocket. However the stiffness of the fabric makes it good for bad weather and for cycling because it doesn't flap in the wind. Various manufacturers have textiles, which they claim are hydrophilic and will transport moisture outwards while keeping you dry but I've yet to see one that works as well as Goretex. So that leaves you with a wide choice of thin waterproof nylon jackets, which are often cut generously so are very flappy, which is irritating and slows you down.

I've just bought one of those transparent rain jackets, a Castelli Sottile:

csstj3-1.jpg

This makes the best of a bad job; it is pretty waterproof so after a few miles you begin to boil in the bag. However it is incredibly lightweight and rolls up smaller than a drinks can. Best of all, it's slightly elastic all over so will stretch to fit your body - you can buy it snug and it won't flap around in the breeze. It's the nearest thing to a waterproof membrane that fits over your regular clothes. Since I'm a fair-weather cyclist it's perfect for stuffing in a jersey pocket for those days when a short sharp shower might catch you out. I've already used it once for that and it's perfect in fit and function. You would not want to use it for commuting though, the white polymer material absorbs dirt and environmental chemicals and discolours quite quickly; I left a rubber band around mine and within three days there was a brown stain where sulphur compounds from the rubber had transferred into the jacket, marking it permanently.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I see cyclist at this time of year with the vey thin, transparent anorak things on but nothing covering their legs. I always carry leggings, I should imagine on a road bike, obviously with no mud guards, it's gonna be uncomfortable with no leggings, am I missing something?

If it's mild/warm enough then there is no need for leggings/leg warmers etc. The human skin is very adept at repelling rain and dries far quicker then any material.

Reactions: gaz
Top Bottom