rain stops play?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I dont like it but I dont mind it this time of year when its warm enough to just wear shorts and tshirt and get soaked through, but its horrible when its freezing and waterproofs boil you on the inside. Properly heavy rain in your face is kinda dangerous though, especially combined with underperforming wet brakes and being a big bugger to slow down.

Im a fair weather cyclist too, but if you avoid going out in the rain in this country youll never go out ;)

david k

Hi
i dont mind, i just use my hybrid with disc brakes and bigger wheels

When I commuted (3 days a week, 21 miles to office) I was an all-weather rider.

When I lived and worked in Sarajevo (jolly cold in winter) I rode in every day.

Now I am older and greyer and am put off as much by the chace of slipping off as I am by the prospect of cleaning the bicycle.

I still believe that mudguards are a crime, as is too much tread (any tread) on a road tyre.

Also, disc brakes on a road (or hybrid) bike are against the Laws of Creation, as are banks of bright front lights.

Bring back the 60s, but with Ergo shifters, clipless pedals and modern puncture-proof tyres.

And ban rain!

Willo

I'm a bit of a fair weather cyclist but with very limited time it's often go out in the rain or nothing. So in an hour or so, once the children are deposited at athletics, dancing etc., it's up and over Wye Crown regardless of whether the big black clouds overhead start to deposit the heavy rain as forecast.

However, in the midst of the mid-life lycra crisis, if it is chucking it down I might swich to one of my older jerseys though so as not to muddy one of my favourites:blush:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I wouldn't intentionally go out in heavy rain but if it started while i was out i wouldn't head for home if was only a few miles into my ride. It started raining heavily on Thursday evening, i'd only done about 6 miles so i put on the old, not very water, but not bad wind proof packaway jacket, clipped on my visor then i realised that i didn't have my clear goggles so i took off my shades and cycled without eye protection which i'm not keen on doing. I am very wary cycling in rain because of the obvious stopping, road holding ability. I wouldn't go on a road i'm not familiar with as rain on the road can hide potholes and other hazards, and even familiar roads i treat with caution.
When i arrived home my time and speed average were down on the usual but i was content that i'd got a decent ride in and not "chickened out" and sat at home instead!:cheers:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If I'm going somewhere in particular or meeting folk I'll generally cycle in all weather, I gave this morning a miss though.

:wahhey: stopped raining here: might just be able to cycle to meet my friend at the Pavillion theater later on.
Sometimes I wanna arrive a bit smart at my destination :girl:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Will commute in any weather, but i would rather cycle in the dry on the road bike don't mind the odd shower, but i don't like the heavy rain, been there and done it, bring on the sunshine.^_^

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I doubt it'll stop here till midnight (we're too close to T in the Park ;)).
Nae worries, started again: got soaked walking to the shops. Stopped now - planning to cycle to the theater later, whatever the weather: my pal knows I'm :wacko: ^_^

Berties

Fast and careful!
have not missed a beat this week,novelty of trying the new bike out and computer,but have not had a dry ride ,but must say a wet ride does take it out of you more than a dry ride done 40 miles this morning and have just dried out

Maylian

Veteran
Up until recently I enjoyed cycling in the rain. Then I discovered that cycling at 40mph without goggles in the extreme wet stings the eyes! Now I have some cycling specs and I love it just as much. I find that I go probably a bit faster although draughting cars / vans is a little nerve wracking but a lot of fun!

Top Bottom