rain wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
battered said:
..get wet but this can be a bit unpleasant. People give you funny looks too, I well remember leaving a puddle in a lift at one workplace. ...

This is where things are different in Europe - on a tour in Northern France in atrocious weather, I'd got wet all morning and decided to go for a nice lunch. I spotted a nice looking restaurant and went in for the full 3 course lunch menu. No one batted an eyelid at the puddles of water emanating from my shoes as the water drained out of clothing, down my legs and through the shoes - luckily the chairs were lacquered wood, otherwise the next diner would have got wet too :becool:

I'm another who just gets wet - in summer I don't usually bother with a jacket either, just a gilet, unless I'm out all day.

Fattman

I agree with getting wet legs, if you try to put anything waterproof on your twin-turbo powerhouses (ok, in my case, lolly sticks & elastic bands) you just get over hot, undo your jacket and get soaked anyway.

I wear Altura 'roubaix' bib-tights in the winter, it's not going to be below 0c if it's raining (though wind-chill impacts), and they're handy when it is dry and proper cold. Never been cold in them.

In Summer, shorts/bib-shorts. Knee warmers are ace, you can head out early in the chill and free the knees when you/it's all warmed up. Similar with arm warmers. You can use them to add an extra layer to your arms independently from your (generally hotter) core. Silicone strips hold them up. Rainproofwise, not terribly relevant.

Waterproof jackets and I have had a stormy (:wacko:) relationship. Gore has finally won out, proven extremely good though expensive. Am flirting with Rapha but this is contentious, possibly pretentious and financially ruinous (but great for a significant birthday present :smile: ).

Fattman

leyton condor said:
this winter I fitted a set of crud road racer mudguards. I can honestly say that this was the best bit of weatherproofing that I have invested in.

I second that! There is something deeply unpleasant about the dirt off those London roads.

Also, worth keeping spare clean/dry at work, just in case it all goes Waterworld on you!

zoxed

Über Member
> I find these brilliant for wet summer days...
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/:o/5360023931/

These are very interesting: Goretex shorts, and with drawstring *legs* good for recumbent riders.

As a bent rider I often put on waterproof trousers mainly to keep my "bits" dry (esp. when cycling to work!), esp. as in the recumbent position your jacket also drains into your lap :-(

(I also have some Eager Sport (where-are-they-now ?) training waterproof trousers (no bottom/back of legs), but they look a bit too kinky for wandering into the office in !!)

Top Bottom