Raining, and climbing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Got another TT tonight and its started t rain. That misty stuff. Damn:sad: Raining there?
Anyway, question i was going to ask is, when going up a hill when on a TT, do you go down a gear and spin up, trying to stay as aero as you can, or stay in the gear and honk it up the hill, standing up and not being aero at all? I heard a few on the TT talking about it after, but never got a conclusion from it?
Hopefully it will brighten up and turn into a nice evening. Bit windy again today aswell. Can someone turn the wid down abit?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
simple, peddle faster. :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sit down where possible, but if it's a honker, then honk - TBH most of the Cheshire courses are lumpy, and need a bit of both.... so it's up to you - what ever is the quickest - you won't know that until you've ridden the course a fair bit !

OP
OP
J

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Well i sat down and span for most of it, but ended up standing up and honking. They are long hills, but short steep inclines, one with a false flat.
Anyway, got 26.47, so 50 seconds off my time last week.
Was given a tip to try and get into top gear on the way down to keep my momentum going, so thats something to try for next time.
Have no idea how strong i am, and no idea how to work it out.

bonj2

either:

* take up mtbing (it lends itself to a kind of 'natural' interval training conducive to the sort of development that will help you with that sort of riding)
* spin for most of it, then whack it up two or three cogs and honk when you're near the top.
* do it on your fixie
* all of the above.

bonj2

another tip: when honking up a hill, watch out for grids, manhole covers or any form of ironwork on the road, as your back wheel can slip on it when it's wet!
there's one on meadowhead in shef that my back wheel will spin on without fail every time when it's been raining!

Keith Oates

Janner
Sitting down as much as possible is the best IMO, but honking is OK if you feel the need to do it. Honking on a wet surface can cause some slipping if you are starting off or trying to accelerate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe

Über Member
Spin the "honking" gear.:biggrin:

Top Bottom