Rainy Day Clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigTone0777

Hi all, I am needing to get myself some wet weather clothing for my commute to work on those miserable days. I don't want to have to get changed at work so was thinking of a nice jacket and overtrousers such as these

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-Gridlock-Overtrousers_15125.htm

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-Gridlock-Waterproof-Cycling-Jacket_15114.htm

Do you think these are up to the job as I can't really afford to spend any more. Also may need some good gloves and overshoes!

Your advice is appreciated.

:welcome:

What are you wearing underneath? The problem with over layers comes if they start keeping the moisture in as well as the rain out. If you're wearing those over normal clothes, you may find yourself getting very sweaty (unless you pedal sedately, of course, to avoid perspiration :rolleyes: ).

I wear cycle shirt and shorts. Now I can leave the winter stuff at home I carry an Aldi jacket and rainlegs. The rainlegs keep your thighs dry, but that backs of legs are not covered. The ventilation is great, and on the whole the water coming from the road isn't a problem. The Aldi jacket was cheap and fits in a pocket. It keeps the rain off, but does get a bit uncomfortable if it's hot and tipping it down. If it's less than torrential the vents do a job.

I get changed at work though...

I like Endura gear as it fits me well - I can't seem to find any other jackets that don't ride halfway up my gibbon like arms when on the bike. Should be ok so long as you aren't working up a sweat on your commute as it'll probably be a bit 'boil in the bag'. My endura illuminite jacket gets like that, but then it doesn't take much for me to get sweaty.

Another thought: the sun is starting to appear and its getting warmer. Skin is waterproof.
Cycle naked to work in the rain and towel off when you get there. Arrive freshly washed, perspiration free. No need to change - just slip on your freshly laundered clothes.*

*I may not be entirely serious about this. But if you do give it a go, post your commute route and times and I'm sure all the forumites will do their best to be there and cheer you on.:smile:

edit: Forgot :welcome:

Tynan

Veteran
how long is your ride and as posted already what are you trying to keep dry

I wear cycle kit and don't bother trying to keep dry, just warm enough, even in a gillet it's hard not to get sweaty if you put some effort in

Hi all, I am needing to get myself some wet weather clothing for my commute to work on those miserable days. I don't want to have to get changed at work so was thinking of a nice jacket and overtrousers such as these

http://www.tredz.co....users_15125.htm

http://www.tredz.co....acket_15114.htm

Do you think these are up to the job as I can't really afford to spend any more. Also may need some good gloves and overshoes!

Your advice is appreciated.

I have a pair of Altura overtrousers and an Altura nightvision jacket. In summer I'll normally be happy to get wet and change, as it is really hot cycling in waterproofs. It does depend how hard you cycle and how far. You can get absolutely drenched in a short space of time if you're unlucky. I do however love my waterproofs in winter, as even when it's not wet they help as an extra windproof layer, and I wear both jacket and trousers during the coldest bits. I think those two you've listed will be up to the job, but haven't had personal experience of Endura. I had issues finding ones to try on as I'm a small lady, so bought the ones I could try on in my nearest Evans. I have had Endura gloves, not waterproof, but OK for showers. I now use leather ski gloves as I didn't get along well with synthetic ones (not a cheap option, given). I don't have overshoes - in winter it's waterproof boots, in summer waterproof trainers if it looks wet, or wet feet.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I own both the Gridlock Jacket and the overtrousers. My commute is around 9.5 miles each way. The trousers are great but I would only wear Helly Hansen Lifra base layer trousers under them, anything else and I would get very sweaty. I would rather just wear shorts but I really do not like the feeling of the nylon against my skin. I have not used them in the better weather but I imagine that they would be pretty hot. I fancy trying the rain legs too. The Gridlock jacket is a superb winter commuting jacket but I think it is to warm for the better weather and it is also fairly bulky to carry compared to some of the thinner spring/summer jackets around. I was probably going to get the Montane Featherlite Velo jacket, it is showerproof and packs down very small. I had also looked at the Lusso Aqua Jacket, this is also showerproof with vents and packs down very small and is only around £25. Just cannot find any reviews, but it would probably be ok for what I need to be honest. I also really like Lusso gear in general, seems great for the cash.

Wobblers

Euthermic
It really depends how far you go and how effort you put into it. At anything over a gentle pootle - 12 mph-ish - you'll probably find waterproofs get unbearably hot and sweaty, even with goretex. For short distances it won't matter - you won't be on the bike for long enough to get too hot.

For my 3 mile commute into work, I'll wear a goretex Paclite jacket and Aldi waterproof overtrousers if it's wet - it's all downhill so I don't tend to overheat too much. I couldn't do that on the journey home - it'd be too uncomfortable.

I tend to focus on staying warm rather than dry: shorts in summer, Lusso Max Repel tights in winter. Merino base and midlayers are good, as they retain their warmth even when wet. My goretex Paclite jacket's good for long rides, particularly when it's cold. The Montane Featherlite Velo is also very good - it's more showerproof rather than waterproof, but it does do an excellent job at blocking out the wind.

OP
OP
BigTone0777

BigTone0777

First of all thanks for the welcomes guy's!
My commute if you can call it that is only a 3 mile run but as it has been about 10 years since I did any exercise it's making my lungs go all funny ha ha ha. I'm not worried about the ride home and will happily get wet as long as I'm not too cold, I used to cycle all year round for fun before I got lazy! but I'm just too damn lazy to get changed at work. Might be the only sensible option though coz don't want to be all sweaty in my formal work wear.

Thanks for the replies!

Top Bottom