Raised lettering on road - maximum height?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have a section of double rumble strip near me. Here: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=rhyl&ll=53.323533,-3.470258&spn=0.001423,0.003449&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Rhyl, Denbighshire, United Kingdom&gl=uk&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.32362,-3.470304&panoid=wzJxu7UTwhYs79zI9ghoWQ&cbp=12,334.44,,0,17.36 (the picture is old but they have placed a new rumble strip over the old on and made a new section just before the SLOW sign).

It is incredibly bumpy right at the top. I can only go over it in two ways: 1. Fast and try to maintain speed and risk damaging my bike. 2. Slow as well as remaining in primary and end up unnecessarily holding up traffic.

The problem I have is that if I complain to my council, they will not get back to me or even try to solve the problem.

In my part of the world skidding isnt the big problem its sticking!^_^

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/investigation-into-islands-sticky-situation-44586.aspx

Recycler

I have a section of double rumble strip near me.
The problem I have is that if I complain to my council, they will not get back to me or even try to solve the problem.

This might help http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/local-transport-notes/ltn-1-07.pdf and it covers rumble strips and, seperately, cyclists.

To be honest, if you don't take it up with them then there's little point in complaining about it. It certainly can be difficult to get the pen pushers to do anything but they are obliged to reply to you and, if you don't get a response, then you have every right to kick up a fuss.

HovR

Über Member
I have a section of double rumble strip near me. Here: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=rhyl&ll=53.323533,-3.470258&spn=0.001423,0.003449&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Rhyl, Denbighshire, United Kingdom&gl=uk&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.32362,-3.470304&panoid=wzJxu7UTwhYs79zI9ghoWQ&cbp=12,334.44,,0,17.36 (the picture is old but they have placed a new rumble strip over the old on and made a new section just before the SLOW sign).

It is incredibly bumpy right at the top. I can only go over it in two ways: 1. Fast and try to maintain speed and risk damaging my bike. 2. Slow as well as remaining in primary and end up unnecessarily holding up traffic.

Unfortunately, by design rumble strips are bumpy, but your road bike will be tougher than you're giving it credit for. If I remember rightly, your wheels have a high spoke count? They should be able to take some fairly serious (road) abuse before they go out of true.

I know I've hit some huge pot holes hard in the past, and rolled out of them thinking I'd have a bad buckle or at least a wheel truing job, however the wheels are still perfectly true.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
This might help http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/local-transport-notes/ltn-1-07.pdf and it covers rumble strips and, seperately, cyclists.

5.1.3 The Highways (Traffic Calming) Regulations 1999 permit rumble devices up to 15 mm in height, provided no vertical face exceeds 6 mm in height. Special authorisation can be sought where a device is required to exceed these dimensions, though any applications would need a strong justification. The requirement not to exceed 6 mm for the vertical face is important. Heights greater than that could create difficulties for riders of two-wheeled vehicles, particularly cyclists.
I think this is of a great use. I will go out tomorrow and measure the bumps (the road is relatively quiet).

thegrp

Did you take your complaint any further?
Ive just come off my bike this past week after hitting a give way line marking, which when I photographed it's the depth of a £2 coin! at least 2 maybe 3 layers of paint thick. Id like to know if you got any more information.
I was under the impression that good practise was to remove the lines before marking again.
My sram red levers, selle carbon saddle and easton rear wheel have been damaged, I ended up at A&E on a weeks anti biotics. Well and true P... off as Im very particular looking after the bike!!!

Muguruki

This is not really related. but does anyone know whatt are those circular holes cut into the surface of the road about 3ins in diameter? I come across quite a few of them on my usual ride some are filled in with tarmac but others are left tarmac free and are best avoided.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This is not really related. but does anyone know whatt are those circular holes cut into the surface of the road about 3ins in diameter? I come across quite a few of them on my usual ride some are filled in with tarmac but others are left tarmac free and are best avoided.
Drilled core samples to check how the road structure is holding up?

Top Bottom