raising ahead handlebars

daverave

Senior Member
Hi All,

Am fairly new to cycling and just bought a Cluad Butler Urban 200 (2010) model.

Before trying it out I've adjusted the seat height but I'm having great trouble raising the handlebar height. I believe this is an ahead type handlebar system. Any ideas on how to to this? I've already loosened the compression bolt and also the two steering clamp bolts (as per manual) but the damn thing wont budge!
 

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Ah, no. The ahead system depends on the lenghth of the steerer tube and the number of spacers under the stem. It doesn't just slide up and down as the old-style quill stems did.

Ahead stems are not as adjustable as quills and in most cases all you can do to lift the bars is to fit a stem with a greater degree of rise, or fit a steerer tube extender.

Why do you wish to lift the bars? Did your lbs not ensure the bike fitted you when you bought it?
 
OP
D

daverave

Senior Member
Gerry Attrick said:
Ah, no. The ahead system depends on the lenghth of the steerer tube and the number of spacers under the stem. It doesn't just slide up and down as the old-style quill stems did.

Ahead stems are not as adjustable as quills and in most cases all you can do to lift the bars is to fit a stem with a greater degree of rise, or fit a steerer tube extender.

Why do you wish to lift the bars? Did your lbs not ensure the bike fitted you when you bought it?
Cheers,

I've raised the seat by an inch or two, and according to the manual I should raise the handlebar to be level or in line with the seat. Am 6 ft 2, so went for the largest available frame (22 inches). Bought it off the internet not a local bike shop!
 
The only thing you can do is to alter the stem.... but this has a cost - especially if you don't get it right first time.

Even with an adjustable stem there are issues as the ba moves in an arc, so higher = closer and lower = further.
 

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
you will probably need a new stem to achieve what you want, unless there are a lot of spacers on top of the existing stem which is unlikely. But try it a bit as is and see. you may be fine.

If not BBB do good cheap (relatively) high rise and / or adjustable stems. Bikeplus sell them iirc
 

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Location
West London
daverave said:
Before trying it out I've adjusted the seat height but I'm having great trouble raising the handlebar height. I believe this is an ahead type handlebar system. Any ideas on how to to this? I've already loosened the compression bolt and also the two steering clamp bolts (as per manual) but the damn thing wont budge!
If you have been raising the seatpost then inevitably you were moving the saddle back at the same time. Have you considered moving the saddle forward a little by loosening the seatpost clamp on the saddle rails? A cm or two can make a big difference to the feel.
 

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Location
Manchester
How are you deciding on your seat height? If you are following rules such as you should be on your tip toes when over the seat, forget that and look up a proper bike set up procedure. Sheldon Brown most likely provides a good one, he provides info on pretty much everything else.

Once your seat is adjusted properly, then you should start to think about the bars (you should get everything set up 100% at the back end 1st), if they still arent right with correct seat height. You may need to

A) If there are spacers on top of the stem, take them off, remove the stem, put the spacers under it, then put the stem back on top.
:smile: Flip the stem if it is downward angled
C) Buy a downward angled stem and put it on upside down
D) Buy a riser stem
E) Buy a track stem (aggressive downward angle, 60 degrees or so) and put it on upside down giving drastic rise.

Before buying stems etc, get some good measures of your limbs when your in a riding possition, this will hopefully avoid having to trial and error your way through a few stems and a pile of cash.
 

NorthernSky

Veteran
think i've the same problem here. bought my bike off the internet (it was cheaper than lbs).

would like the handle bars to be a little higher. do i need to fit more spacers? i'm thinking of asking the store where i bought it to supply some

 

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Location
near Hornsea
cruiser31 said:
think i've the same problem here. bought my bike off the internet (it was cheaper than lbs).

would like the handle bars to be a little higher. do i need to fit more spacers? i'm thinking of asking the store where i bought it to supply some
Doesn't look like you can fit anymore spacers ;) Maybe try an angled stem to raise the bars further.
 

Norm

Guest
cruiser31 said:
think i've the same problem here. bought my bike off the internet (it was cheaper than lbs).

would like the handle bars to be a little higher. do i need to fit more spacers? i'm thinking of asking the store where i bought it to supply some
How about just flipping the stem you've already got? ;) It'll change the angle slightly, as it'll bring it back a bit as well, but it's free and a 10 minute (less if you are experienced) job that you can try whilst cogitating on other solutions.
 

Debian

New Member
Location
West Midlands
cruiser31 said:
think i've the same problem here. bought my bike off the internet (it was cheaper than lbs).

would like the handle bars to be a little higher. do i need to fit more spacers? i'm thinking of asking the store where i bought it to supply some

You'll need an upward angled, or an adjustable stem in order to raise the bars further, or maybe you could put yours on upside down?.

I use a Ritchie 75mm adjustable on my Specialized FSR XC as I found the original stem gave me too much reach and too little rise, the Ritchie sorted it fine.
 

zacklaws

Veteran
Location
Beverley
cruiser31 said:
think i've the same problem here. bought my bike off the internet (it was cheaper than lbs).

would like the handle bars to be a little higher. do i need to fit more spacers? i'm thinking of asking the store where i bought it to supply some

As others have said spin it round before investing in a new stem, looking at the pic yours is angled downwards and by the writing on it, it is one designed to be fitted either way. I did it with mine and it had the effect of raising the bars by about 4cm (measured from the top of my brake calipre) and also shortening the stem by approx 10mm. I then found it too high so just removed a spacer from underneath and fitted it above the stem and its now spot on.
 

Norm

Guest
Debian said:
You'll need an upward angled, or an adjustable stem in order to raise the bars further, or maybe you could put yours on upside down?.
I think that you were probably writing this at the same time that I was writing mine, Debs :biggrin: but he already has an upward angled one fitted, it's just that it's upside down at the moment. ;)
 

Debian

New Member
Location
West Midlands
Norm said:
I think that you were probably writing this at the same time that I was writing mine, Debs :biggrin: but he already has an upward angled one fitted, it's just that it's upside down at the moment. ;)
Shows how much attention I'm paying to things at the moment. :biggrin:

Bored here at work, think I'll wander over to the LBS across the road.
 
Top Bottom