raising ahead handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Don't do it, Debian!

Or, well, if you do, I need new shoes, pedals and, by coincidence, a shorter stem, there's a good chap. :laugh:

Debian

I never need anything..... until I walk into the shop... :laugh:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
cruiser31 said:
ah right, so just take this bit and flip it (sorry, pictures paint a thousand words :laugh:)

Yup, flip it upside down (like someone else pointed out, the graphic on it is made to go either way up so it will look like its on as per normal), and re-clamp. Job done, will take a few mins, if thats not high enough then you can buy one with a steeper angle and put that on upside down or buy a dedicated riser stem(which is in essence a flipped road stem with the graphic on it up the other way :smile:).

Norm

cruiser31 said:
ah right, so just take this bit and flip it (sorry, pictures paint a thousand words :smile:)
Yup, just take that bit off and flip it.

Have a good look at the bits as you take it apart. You shouldn't need to dismantle much stuff from the stem, no need to play with the spacers, for instance and you may not need to remove anything more than the top cap. Check out the orientation of the star nut if you do need to take that off.

Sorry, it's been a while since I had mine apart. :laugh:

Reading this page will probably help more than anything that I could type.

switch that round. gives me about 2cm extra height i think so its pretty good.

went out last night. lovely head wind. looked nice before i headed out but its still cold out there

Debian said:
You'll need an upward angled, or an adjustable stem in order to raise the bars further, or maybe you could put yours on upside down?.

I use a Ritchie 75mm adjustable on my Specialized FSR XC as I found the original stem gave me too much reach and too little rise, the Ritchie sorted it fine.

i'm now thinking of gettin a replacement stem.

it says 8n-m on mine, is that the degrees/angle

the adjustable ones sound good

jethro10

Über Member
i've established i need a new stem then to raise myself up a good bit (i've a bit of an arch in my back at my shoulders and find i'm getting pain in the area between my shoulders and bottom of my neck from leaning over)

i'm looking at buying something like this then

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39262

are stems standard these days? are parts 1 and 2 on mine, below, going to be the same as parts one and two in the ritchey?

is the only measurement of a new stem thats variable the length, no3 on my pic (80mm, 100mm, 120mm on the ritchey)

i've no room for any more spacers, if you take everything off the tube has been cut to fit exactly.

p1000583u.jpg

thanks

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
No, they arent exactly standard, you ned to determine if the handlebar clamping area is 31.8mm or 26mm (or one of the other available sizes, road bikes are usually one of the sizes I mentioned, OS or oversized stems refer to 31.8mm size clamping area). The steerer end is usually 1 1/8".

Rob3rt said:
No, they arent exactly standard, you ned to determine if the handlebar clamping area is 31.8mm or 26mm (or one of the other available sizes, road bikes are usually one of the sizes I mentioned, OS or oversized stems refer to 31.8mm size clamping area). The steerer end is usually 1 1/8".

ah ok thanks

i think all that info is written on the handle bars so i'll have look when i get back, and i may measure the steerer tube too i guess