raising ahead handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karan733

Rob3rt said:
No, they arent exactly standard, you ned to determine if the handlebar clamping area is 31.8mm or 26mm (or one of the other available sizes, road bikes are usually one of the sizes I mentioned, OS or oversized stems refer to 31.8mm size clamping area). The steerer end is usually 1 1/8".

Is it a problem if you use a 26mm clamp on a 31.8mm clamp area? I.e, is it dangerous to use a clamp that is too small? Also looking to get the Ritchey in the near future, after everything else!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you try to get a 26mm clamp around a 31.8mm handlebar it wont go. Buy the right size stem for your bars. They need to be mechanically sound.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The clamp size refers to the diameter, if you buy a stem to suit your handlebars the width of the clamping section shouldnt be an issue. I dont quite inderstand your question, sorry :tongue:

karan733

Rob3rt said:
if you buy a stem to suit your handlebars the width of the clamping section shouldnt be an issue.

I think you've just answered my question actually, thanks :tongue:

Ill take a piccy tonight and post it to display what I meant though :smile:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Rob3rt said:
No, they arent exactly standard, you ned to determine if the handlebar clamping area is 31.8mm or 26mm (or one of the other available sizes, road bikes are usually one of the sizes I mentioned, OS or oversized stems refer to 31.8mm size clamping area). The steerer end is usually 1 1/8".

As Rob3rt says 1 1/8" dia. It is worth noting that the stack height of the stem - the height of part 2 inyour pic is not standard and may be the same, or longer, or shorter than your current stem. This might mean that you have to play around with the spacers on the steerer tube - maybe adding a thinner or fatter one with the new stem.

g00se

Veteran
Of course - for a very quick fix while you're waiting for the new stem - you can always flip your current stem over and get an inch raise or so on the bars.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
There isnt really a standard, although when you buy a bike the manufacturer has usually estimated the length of the stem for the person who will ride the bike. For example my 58cm frames HAD 120mm stems.

You should gauge for yourself the best length for you based on the ride possition intended on your specific bike. For example one may choose the stem on a drop handlebar road bike such then when on the hoods the arms would be extended with a slight bend at the elbow (this isnt absolute since rotating the bars will modify fit but it serves as an example). A TT rider may buy a longer stem to provide more room to tuck in and preserve hip angle when riding on the nose of the saddle with the saddle pushed forward.

If you cant gauge for yourself I would suggest that you get some pics of you side on and from the front sat on your bike in a accurate riding possition (get someone to hold you up, or stick bike on a turbo) and post them up. Someone may be able to lok at your current angles and suggest improvement to fit and stem length suggestions (shorter/longer, absolute measurements almost impossible). This is what I did in terms of advice for my aero possition and the advice given even though not absolute values did help to acheive a much better possition and increased comfort.

They say buying a longer stem changes handling, this was my concern, but to be honest, I havent noticed any difference in handling since buying a longer and more aggresivelly downward angled stem. Maybe its only noticable on technical courses.

So in conclusion the stem length is determined by your body geometry and the type of riding and bike you have.

Also bear in mind with adjustable stems they move in an arc, so when raised or lowered they are closer to you and when straight they are further away.