Raising handlebars on a road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Panter said:
Thanks John, I've had a good look at a pair of those a friend had. He raved about them and I must admit they looked pretty good.
I am going to get some, I'm just thinking of waiting 'till Spring as I don't suppose it will be too long before I'm wearing full fingered gloves and they only come in fingerless as I understand it.

I'm going to flip the stem this Weekend (once I've learned how to do it, good old Park tools will hopefully come to the rescue :blush:) and see if that alleviates it.

You can always put a pair of woolly or warmer gloves under or over fingerless ones (depending on how tight the fingerless ones are) if you need more warmth. Or a pair of mittens over them even...

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
That's worth a go.

I must admit I hadn't thought of that, I have large hands but woolly gloves will stretch won't they?

Those GB's are seriously thick gloves.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Panter said:
That's worth a go.

I must admit I hadn't thought of that, I have large hands but woolly gloves will stretch won't they?

Those GB's are seriously thick gloves.

Yeah, woolly gloves can be quite stretchy. Or get someone to knit you an oversized pair. I would offer, but I've never done gloves, and by the time I'd finished, it mght be next June and a bit hot...

Abitrary

I'm not going to read this thread again or look at the original question

But have you tried loosening the bolts on the aheadset so you can point the handlbar ends upwards, and then lean into the bar ends on your shoulders, to make sure that your shoulders bones pointy bone bits are *inside* those parameters?

Too many of the raising handlebar crisis fanclub members may in reality look like the Thing from the Fantastic 4 riding around on little bikes designed for plasticine puppets in wallace and gromit movies

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Abitrary said:
I'm not going to read this thread again or look at the original question

But have you tried loosening the bolts on the aheadset so you can point the handlbar ends upwards, and then lean into the bar ends on your shoulders, to make sure that your shoulders bones pointy bone bits are *inside* those parameters?

Too many of the raising handlebar crisis fanclub members may in reality look like the Thing from the Fantastic 4 riding around on little bikes designed for plasticine puppets in wallace and gromit movies

The bars are rotated about as high as they'll go, for me anyway.

I tried them higher but if then feels as if my hands are going to slip off the bottom of the drops.

I hear your concerns with the handlebar raising, but it should only need to come up an inch or two at the most.

Thanks for the help :biggrin:

buggi

Bird Saviour
haven't read all this, so don't know if someone's suggested it (can't be arsed to go through all the posts sorry) but a guy i know has just put a different frame on my bike and it's got a tri-bike stem on it. you can raise it up a couple of inches. it's really good. dunno what make it is but it's got EXT Pro written on it.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks for that Buggi :becool:

I flipped the stem as suggested futher back and I'm going to wait untill I've done some more miles before seeing where to go from here.

Its still uncomfortable but I think I may be stuck with that.

I haven't ridden for a Week now though :smile:, will be sorting that tomorrow morning. And I'll be cliplesss for the first time ever ;):becool:

Tynan

Veteran
a small point only but an extra inch in one go for the seat post is not a tweak surely?

I thought you were supposed to raise it a little at a time to allow your body to adjust?

Top Bottom