Raising handlebars on a road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Wow, thanks guys :sad:

And thanks for posting all those links John, must've taken ages, appreciated :blush:

Ok, so although I like the idea of the adjustable stem, it may change the reach depending on where I set it and therefore the extender would be the better option.

I feel the reach could be a bit longer really, but thats the problem. Being my first ever road bike I just don't know what my ideal position is yet.

When choosing the size of the bike, I was slap bang between the 50 and the 50.5. On the advice of the roadie at work I went for the smaller one with the view that I could put a longer stem on if needed.

First off, I can't spend any money for a couple of Weeks so I get to try the free options first.

Here's my bike:

Ericsandtetleys012739x491-1.jpg

Compared to lots of pictures I've seen, my seat is relatively low to the bars anyway. Am I just being a big wuss and need to get used to it?

Incidentally, the ground the bikes on does slope a bit to the right.

The aformentioned roadie at work is on holiday at the moment but he did mention before he left that he should have a few different sized stems laying around so I may be able to experiment with the reach, but not the height but it would give me an idea.

I'm still swayed towards the adjustable stem, especially at those prices (Thanks again Elmer :blush:) and I'm really not worried about the weight of it. A few less pies for lunch will cancel that out :angry: :biggrin:

So, is my seat/bar ratio fine as it is?

p.s when on the drops, the top of my wrist makes light contact with the underside of the top bar. Sound right?

gwhite

Über Member
From the image it appears that your bars are slightly below the saddle height. If this is so, and as your bike seems to use threadless forks, a stem with a slightly angled rise should put you about right.
The adjustable stems work but are pretty ugly things in my opinion.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks gwhite.

The bars are below the seat by 3 or 4" I would guess.

Aren't they supposed to be though? as I say, all the pics I've seen of road bikes the bars are quite a long way below the seat.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Panter said:
Aren't they supposed to be though? as I say, all the pics I've seen of road bikes the bars are quite a long way below the seat.

I wonder that myself - I ride on the drops a lot (my caliper brakes need a fair bit of force to be effective, and I don't get that from the hoods), and have my bars about level with my saddle nose. One thing worrying me about (possibly) buying a modern bike is that low bar position.

Blonde

Panter said:
I personally think its just me that is the problem so the gel tape would be best but I'll put a piccy up of the bike this evening and see what you good people make of the saddle/bar height, if you'd be so kind :blush:

It's not just you. If you aren't comfy on the bike you shouldn't have to put up with it either, but everyone is different in their size and proportions as well as their bio-mechanics, so what works for one person wont necessarily be the thing that's right for you. You may need your saddle height to be v similar to your bar height for example. There's nowt wrong with this and it doesn't mean there's something wrong with you either! No, bikes are not 'supposed to be' set up with the saddle markedly higher than the bars. They just are for those people who need to sit arse-up - especially useful for those who are racing, Time Trialing or not going far (or are sucked into the fashionable pro-racer look without thinking about how it's going to feel actually riding the thing). Most of us don't sit like this because it's not practical or comfortable - certainly not for long periods or on consecutive days on a touring or commuting bike. Bikes should be set up according to the rider proportions and comfort and the type of riding, nothing else.

It's possible that you have longer legs in relation to torso length which would mean that most bars will be too low on a standard frame with small head tube, because you'll have a lot of seat post showing/a high saddle. I am built like this and the only solution in my case (unfortunately) is to get a bike with an extended head tube/fork so that the bars are not so low in relation to my saddle height. Were you measured up for you bike? It's possible you are reaching to far forward (the top tube/stem is too long) because this can also cause similar problems to the ones you describe.

If on the other hand you suspect that you actually have a problem in your hands or the nerves leading to the hands, such as carpal tunnel syndrome you should get this looked at professionally. There have been posts on this forum by people with this condition and they can still cycle after some alterations are made to the bike.

Blonde

To the OP. That anatomic bar does look quite low to me. The drops look incredibly low - those bars have a particularly massive drop. You can get many kinds of differently shaped bars, some with short-ish or very shallow drops and some even have a shortened reach to the hoods. I prefer non-anatomical ones, with a shallow drop, myself.

fatfreddy

Panter said:
I just don't know what my ideal position is yet.

Compared to lots of pictures I've seen, my seat is relatively low to the bars anyway. Am I just being a big wuss and need to get used to it?

So, is my seat/bar ratio fine as it is?
?

this is the nub of the problem - trying to sort out YOUR ideal position with pictures you've seen of other bikes. What may work for others may not work for you.

If you're more concerned about how it looks rather than how comfortable it is - then it's fine as far as I can see. A bit of neck ache/wrist ache is inevitable - but don't put up with too much - if it's really hurting then something is wrong. (Nice bike BTW)

Two things to bear in mind;

(i) pics of bikes (especially those from manufacturers) tend to have loads of seat post showing. It looks sexy and fast.

(ii) A bike set up for racing (with high seatpost relative to bars) is an extreme position. It's not designed for comfort - it's designed for speed.

Most of us want a bit of both - the bike to look good and yet be comfortable. So compromise is inevitable. For what it's worth, the tops of my bars are level with my saddle, but I have a compact frame so have loads of (carbon) seatpost showing which looks cool.

And as someone also with 60 year old legs I feel I can comment on Ahead v quill. Aheadsets are not as intuitive perhaps as a quill - but better in the long run. The bearings are much easier to adjust. You just have to know how they work first. And there's nothing worse in my book than 6" of quill sticking out of a frame.

FF

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks Blonde, I had my suspicions about the seat height thing and now I know :blush:.

I wasn't measured for the bike, I didn't even want to buy a road bike 'till next spring form my LBS.
I bought this one on-line as it was such a good price. I then had to make a guess as to size with the help of the guy at work.
Its quite possible I should've got the next size up though.

So, I can now look to raising the bars without feeling that I'm doing it wrong. I think I'll wait and see what the guy at work thinks when he gets back from holiday. Although no expert, he's been into bikes for a long time and he'll probably have a good idea at a glance what route I need to take.

It's possible that you have longer legs in relation to torso length which would mean that most bars will be too low on a standard frame with small head tube, because you'll have a lot of seat post showing/a high saddle. I am built like this and the only solution in my case (unfortunately) is to get a bike with an extended head tube/fork so that the bars are not so low in relation to my saddle height. Were you measured up for you bike? It's possible you are reaching to far forward (the top tube/stem is too long) because this can also cause similar problems to the ones you describe.

I'm actually the opposite, I have a long body and shorter legs. I just get the feeling that I should be more stretched out than I am, I feel as if the bars are a little close but then, as I say, I have nothing to compare it too.

If on the other hand you suspect that you actually have a problem in your hands or the nerves leading to the hands, such as carpal tunnel syndrome you should get this looked at professionally. There have been posts on this forum by people with this condition and they can still cycle after some alterations are made to the bike.

I did see the docs last year about this. He said that I don't have carpal tunnel syndrome and its just one of those things. Thinking about it, maybe I should go back for a second opinion. I do get some discomfort even when typing for example and even unscrewing bottles can sometimes cause it.

It's not just you. If you aren't comfy on the bike you shouldn't have to put up with it either, but everyone is different in their size and proportions as well as their bio-mechanics, so what works for one person wont necessarily be the thing that's right for you. You may need your saddle height to be v similar to your bar height for example. There's nowt wrong with this and it doesn't mean there's something wrong with you either! No, bikes are not 'supposed to be' set up with the saddle markedly higher than the bars. They just are for those people who need to sit arse-up - especially useful for those who are racing, Time Trialing or not going far (or are sucked into the fashionable pro-racer look without thinking about how it's going to feel actually riding the thing). Most of us don't sit like this because it's not practical or comfortable - certainly not for long periods or on consecutive days on a touring or commuting bike. Bikes should be set up according to the rider proportions and comfort and the type of riding, nothing else.

Thats reassuring, thank you :biggrin:

The main use for my bike at the moment is my "get fit" commute, twice weekly at the moment.
Its a 35ish mile round trip so comfort is pretty important. Mind you, speed is too. I really want to get this commute down to an Hour to make it more viable to do more frequently.
The snag is my route crosses the North Downs and although they may be mere bumps to most people, they're a hell of a challenge for me :angry:

Thanks for the help,

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks FF.

Some good points there. I think I was getting sucked into how it should look.

Live and learn :blush:

To the OP. That anatomic bar does look quite low to me. The drops look incredibly low - those bars have a particularly massive drop. You can get many kinds of differently shaped bars, some with short-ish or very shallow drops and some even have a shortened reach to the hoods. I prefer non-anatomical ones, with a shallow drop, myself.

Strangely, I don't get that much trouble in the drops and I must admit I do quite like the drop position.
It does feel a bit close, but yesterday for example, I had quite a headwind when riding home and I was gratefull to be able to get low down. It did make quite a difference.
Mind you, my more usual position is holding the bars just short of the hoods.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Panter said:
I personally think its just me that is the problem so the gel tape would be best but I'll put a piccy up of the bike this evening and see what you good people make of the saddle/bar height, if you'd be so kind :blush:

Regarding the comments about gel tape etc - I was having problems with my hands feeling ropey after riding too. I grabbed a pair of Specialized "Body Geometry Comp" mitts at lunch time, and the difference between those and my old mitts is night and day. We might not have the same problems from gripping the bars, but the BG mitts might be worth a try, if you can grab some.

(NB, these are the middle ones in the range - the cheapest seemed not to have much more padding than my existing mitts. The BG ones have a big ulnar nerve pad, and good padding on thumb and palm).

Abitrary

I eventually feel uncomfortable on

a) My hybrid. It feels like I am slapping an ice-cream van man around the ears... but I can't quite reach him. You know what i mean
:blush: My road bike. They are invented for fit people as a reward for being fit. Not for people who eat ice cream

Have you tried riding hands free for a few hundred yards on a clear cycle path, with your hands behind your back as if you are about to address a school assembly, and made sure your legs are relaxing as much as they can?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Abitrary said:
Have you tried riding hands free for a few hundred yards on a clear cycle path, with your hands behind your back as if you are about to address a school assembly, and made sure your legs are relaxing as much as they can?

When 13,14,15, used to do that down steep hills where I lived, round corners no handed and me and me mate used to play chicken, see who hit the brakes first at the bottom of the hill as we hit the T junction.

Now I shite myself if I have to take one hand off the bars and I also struggle to look over me right shoulder without doing a "wobbly bob".

Abitrary

Elmer Fudd said:
When 13,14,15, used to do that down steep hills where I lived, round corners no handed and me and me mate used to play chicken, see who hit the brakes first at the bottom of the hill as we hit the T junction.

Now I shite myself if I have to take one hand off the bars and I also struggle to look over me right shoulder without doing a "wobbly bob".

Serious, i honestly think if you can't ride hands off on any bike, then you've got the saddle pedal thing wrong, which will make the rest uncomfortable

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Abitrary said:
I eventually feel uncomfortable on

a) My hybrid. It feels like I am slapping an ice-cream van man around the ears... but I can't quite reach him. You know what i mean
:sad: My road bike. They are invented for fit people as a reward for being fit. Not for people who eat ice cream

Thanks Abitrary.

TBH though, if I took both hands from the bar for more than a nano second, the pain would immediately intensify and transfer itself to my face, neck, chest, then probably elbows and legs although not necessarily in that order.
I struggle to ride with just my left hand on the bar although I'm fine just holding with the Right. Strange but true :blush::blush::angry:

I've never been able to do the "Look Mum, no hands" thing.

I also get pain on my hybrid, I definately have a weakness there.

Regarding the comments about gel tape etc - I was having problems with my hands feeling ropey after riding too. I grabbed a pair of Specialized "Body Geometry Comp" mitts at lunch time, and the difference between those and my old mitts is night and day. We might not have the same problems from gripping the bars, but the BG mitts might be worth a try, if you can grab some.
Thanks John, I've had a good look at a pair of those a friend had. He raved about them and I must admit they looked pretty good.
I am going to get some, I'm just thinking of waiting 'till Spring as I don't suppose it will be too long before I'm wearing full fingered gloves and they only come in fingerless as I understand it.

I'm going to flip the stem this Weekend (once I've learned how to do it, good old Park tools will hopefully come to the rescue :biggrin:) and see if that alleviates it.

Top Bottom