Raising handlebars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'm sure they can help for many people, but they didn't work for me. I was given a pair of close-fitting thin Gore mitts without padding and was surprised to find they were the best for me.

I observe that very few people spend much time on the drops - I couldn't do a whole ride on them.

default is hoods now anyway , the pros now have the bars so low they are effectively at the drop level of yesteryear
https://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.com/2013/10/changing-positions.html

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

I always alternate between positions, can't stay in the same position for long (even disregarding the elevation profile).

Ajax Bay

Guru
Ok, I've flipped the stem. The change is noticeable and hopefully sufficient. I can now fine tune the saddle and try this on a ride to the office.

Ok, just back from a two week tour, and this solution worked perfectly: not once did I feel numbness or pain in my hands. Such a small change and such a significant effect!
"this solution" - please can you share the changes you made (described in OP plus contrary advice (saddle back not forward - "fine tune" resulted in what?), flip stem?)

Nibor

Bewildered
I swapped to these Surley truck stop bars made my bike way more comfortable
surly-truck-stop-bar-HB8278-1000x1000.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
Handlebar shapes are very individual, but that's a whole new rabbit-hole to go down...
There doesn't seem to be a thread which discusses how drop handlebar shapes (as opposed to butterflies and bullhorns or flats) might offer different levels of comfort.
I can't see what the mechanism might be for @Nibor 'Surley truck stop' bars to be found more comfortable. Or is this just a(n expensive) way of getting the bars 30mm higher? (£65? as opposed to 'normal' alloy bars at (say) £25)
"the Truck Stop Bar . . . just like with a standard drop bar [offers] multiple hand positions . . . . And if it’s a more relaxed, upright riding position you’re after, 30mm of rise will get you there. So, if you’ve accidentally or intentionally cut your steer tube too short, here’s your chance at redemption."

Nibor

Bewildered
There doesn't seem to be a thread which discusses how drop handlebar shapes (as opposed to butterflies and bullhorns or flats) might offer different levels of comfort.
I can't see what the mechanism might be for @Nibor 'Surley truck stop' bars to be found more comfortable. Or is this just a(n expensive) way of getting the bars 30mm higher? (£65? as opposed to 'normal' alloy bars at (say) £25)
"the Truck Stop Bar . . . just like with a standard drop bar [offers] multiple hand positions . . . . And if it’s a more relaxed, upright riding position you’re after, 30mm of rise will get you there. So, if you’ve accidentally or intentionally cut your steer tube too short, here’s your chance at redemption."

It is my money I will spend it how I wish and do wish people would mind their own business on how I spend it. I was simply offering a solution that worked for myself when others were not available to me. Why are people on here so quick to jump up and diss someones input when it is clearly not necessary. It is no wonder so many good posters leave this forum.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Nibor I was trying to establish how or why you found those bars made your bike way more comfortable.
Was this because they lifted your bars 30mm? If I can find a way of reducing pressure an damage to my ulnar nerves (mostly the left one) on long rides I'd be very pleased. Anything over 300 and I pay for it for a month. Over 1000 and it's six months (till the nerves grow back).
You are way too sensitive a flower. Had you particular posters in mind? @Racing roadkill perhaps? @Drago - temporarily.
Surly seem to market them to people who have bought a bike with the steerer cut too short for them.
Anyway the OP has flipped their stem and enjoyed a many day ride without aggravation.

Nibor

Bewildered
@Nibor I was trying to establish how or why you found those bars made your bike way more comfortable.
Was this because they lifted your bars 30mm? If I can find a way of reducing pressure an damage to my ulnar nerves (mostly the left one) on long rides I'd be very pleased. Anything over 300 and I pay for it for a month. Over 1000 and it's six months (till the nerves grow back).
You are way too sensitive a flower. Had you particular posters in mind? @Racing roadkill perhaps? @Drago - temporarily.
Surly seem to market them to people who have bought a bike with the steerer cut too short for them.
Anyway the OP has flipped their stem and enjoyed a many day ride without aggravation.

Sorry possibly they raised it that bit more than I had managed already by other means i had already got an uncut steerer and a tallish stem the extrfa 30mm just did it and I think the drops are slightly shallower giving me better access to the drop position.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
It is my money I will spend it how I wish and do wish people would mind their own business on how I spend it. I was simply offering a solution that worked for myself when others were not available to me. Why are people on here so quick to jump up and diss someones input when it is clearly not necessary. It is no wonder so many good posters leave this forum.

Plebeian's are always upset by other people spending more than they would.

Cf. Every single bike/parts/car thread on the internet.

Top Bottom