Raising my handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dicko

Guru
I am having trouble unscrewing the alloy stem riser cap screw shown in the photo. The cap screw the other side unscrews easily but the one shown marked won’t budge. To raise my handle bars I have loosened the screw (not shown but below) and raised the bars a little. Am I doing the right thing?

IMG_1934.jpeg

C R

Guru
I am having trouble unscrewing the alloy stem riser cap screw shown in the photo. The cap screw the other side unscrews easily but the one shown marked won’t budge. To raise my handle bars I have loosened the screw (not shown but below) and raised the bars a little. Am I doing the right thing?

View attachment 691261

If memory serves, those are not the screws you loosen to adjust the angle. There should be another screw underneath the stem, at the front which sets the height.

OP
OP
dicko

dicko

Guru
If memory serves, those are not the screws you loosen to adjust the angle. There should be another screw underneath the stem, at the front which sets the height.

Yes I have loosened that underneath screw and it releases a sort of wedge and it raises the bars slightly.
But what does that left hand screw do? The opposite side (rh screw) comes off but can’t seem to figure what the marked screw does, it’s very tight.

OP
OP
dicko

dicko

Guru

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This video shows how to adjust height and angle.

View: https://youtu.be/7aXu2J3m5ws

Good video, with a combination of the 2 adjustments you can actually adjust the 'reach' as well by about an inch.
Tipping the front portion up shortens the reach and then you can set the height with the stem part, only thing is it is a very 'flexy' set up if you start pulling on the handlebars

OP
OP
dicko

dicko

Guru
Good video, with a combination of the 2 adjustments you can actually adjust the 'reach' as well by about an inch.
Tipping the front portion up shortens the reach and then you can set the height with the stem part, only thing is it is a very 'flexy' set up if you start pulling on the handlebars

Yes I know about setting the height it’s the reach I’m decreasing but I can’t undo that left hand screw to allow me to ‘rotate’ that front portion backwards. Under the stem is a cap screw that grips a saw tooth ‘wedge’ that can loosen and adjust the reach but that tight screw is restricting movement.

C R

Guru
Yes I know about setting the height it’s the reach I’m decreasing but I can’t undo that left hand screw to allow me to ‘rotate’ that front portion backwards. Under the stem is a cap screw that grips a saw tooth ‘wedge’ that can loosen and adjust the reach but that tight screw is restricting movement.

You do not need to touch the side screws, as per the video, only the bolt underneath.

Top Bottom