Raising stamp duty in autumn budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
We have our house on the market as do many others.
Average price around Peterborough is 200-400k so this raising to 500k before paying will in effect kill the housing mkt for 3 months.

Don't get me wrong we are looking at a 300k house so it will be a big saving but where is the logic in announcing it now.

3 months of lockdown now this.
I'm struggling to see any good points

I don't follow how raising the level at which tax is paid can be a bad thing.

What is an housing mot?

winjim

Smash the cistern
I don't follow how raising the level at which tax is paid can be a bad thing.

What is an housing mot?
The chancellor wants to stimulate the housing market by giving buyers a tax break. But by announcing it three months early he's ensured that nobody will buy or sell a house until it comes in.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
To answer the OP question.
I think he is having a mini budget on Wednesday. It would be madness to announce it, then wait 3 months.

Drago

Legendary Member
For administrative and legal reasons he has to give a bit of notice, and the secret would quickly leak anyway.

In addition, if it could be introduced instantly or imminently theres a risk that transactions already in progress could falter or be cancelled if people think they'll save a few quid by stepping away from contracts, potential major disruption.

Whichever way he does it someone will suffer, so may as well give proper notice and do it effectively.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Quite pleased about that.
Nearly 5k saving for us and 4.5k for who buys our house.

Daughter is in the process of moving too so nice for her , pay the removals and solicitors..

Last edited:
Top Bottom