Raleigh 531c 1994 SPD post-modern build!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Hi, Google throws up plenty of results for firms that can Chrome and re-spray bike frames. Can anybody make some recommendations (or warnings!) based on personal experience?

Thanks in advance,

Russ

Sharky

Guru
Some good comments about C&G Finishes in Liverpool, if you search cycle chat.

I had a frame done in polychromatic copper by them, with chrome ends in about 1965 - the one in my avatar picture. Was pleased with it, but the bike was sold on a few years later.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I wouldn't ever re-chrome apart from lugs or other thick parts. It's bad for tubing in the first place and removing it involves removal of more tube metal by grinding and polishing, ready for the new chrome.

Chrome can be very successfully painted over by blasting/sanding to provide a key, then acid etch priming.

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I wouldn't ever re-chrome apart from lugs or other thick parts. It's bad for tubing in the first place and removing it involves removal of more tube metal by grinding and polishing, ready for the new chrome.

Chrome can be very successfully painted over by blasting/sanding to provide a key, then acid etch priming.
There's only chrome on the forks, which are a lot thicker than the main tubes. Other than that, it's only the lugs, chain and seat stays (maybe half/three quarter length) I want done.

However, if peeling the paint off reveals pre-existing chrome, I would rethink. I get what you're saying.

Cheers,

Russ

midlife

Guru
Over the years I've seen consistent results from Bob Jackson, not cheap and they have a habit of putting a big red and white Bob jackson sticker on it somewhere.

Yep and Argos lol

For off the wall Chris Marshall might still be painting...

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
What about this?

Strewth!

Russ

For people in the North of England I can recommend two metal finishers. Niphos metal finishing in Crewe and Derby Plating services in Derby. The people are Niphos are probably the most friendly to individuals, both have finished car and bike parts for me including hard chrome plating of wheel dropouts. Both are expensive as are all chrome platers, hazardous substances waste disposal prices have rocketed, man at Niphos joked that he was in the wrong business.
I agree with the recommendation to use C&G Finishes if you live in the North West, if you call in you will see Hetchins frames in for work, I believe he does them all. Owners of Vincent Black Shadows and other motorcycles of astronomical value send their work to C&G, traditional stove enamel at its best.
Many moons ago a friend had a Mercian frame refinished at Bob Jacksons complete with lug lining and barber pole over the top stuff and nonsense. The quality of finish was very good and the lining work as good as I have seen. It was expensive but that would be down to the hand painting after the base coat.

Windhover

Hi, Google throws up plenty of results for firms that can Chrome and re-spray bike frames. Can anybody make some recommendations (or warnings!) based on personal experience?

Thanks in advance,

Russ
Derby Chrome Plating have done numerous plating jobs for my vintage Riley car. It was a 1933 model and the 'chrome' bits were nickel plated not chrome. They did a fantastic job and I can thoroughly recommend them. Nickel plating is the step before chrome and gives a softer finish not as bright as chrome.
E-mail: info@derbyplating.co.uk

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Well, it's back!

Top Bottom