Raleigh Boardwalk Lite (BB info request!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wifflebat

Regular
Hi all
I've just taken a butchers at a spur of the moment ebay purchase that arrived the other day - a Raleigh Boardwalk Lite frame. most of the other bits and pieces came with it, though they were all in a plastic bag! This doesn't bother me particularly as I'm becoming more handy/experienced in this department but there are some parts missing and information is hard to come by it would seem.

The key component I'm missing is a bottom bracket. There just wasn't one with it. I have some old cage bearing type BBs kicking about (from an old Falcon road bike and an older Raliegh mtb) and was going to just try to fit it and see what happens...but then I chanced upon this forum and thought I would put out a call to see if anyone had one of these Boardwalks at the back of the garage and would be willing to stick a tape measure on it for me. I know the frame width part but need the spindle length. If I knew that then I'd probably fit a cartridge bearing to it.

The wheels are also going to need a bit of work to get them running smoothly again...or are there any cheapish double walled upgrades anyone would recommend? They are 20" and it has a (rusty) 7 speed freewheel...though I haven't decided quite what I'm going to do gear-wise yet.
This all started when we bought an old caravan last year...then I bought a really cool old vintage orange Peugeot folder for my wife to do up. This will be primarily for me to tootle about with the kids on when we go camping but my young fella is always up for an adventure and seems to have almost limitless stamina for bike rides!
I've tried to attach a pic but not sure if my newbie status allows it to be uploaded.

Many thanks in advance of any useful info or tips!

Attachments

• boardwalk.jpg
    boardwalk.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 92

Brommyboy

Über Member

chriscross1966

Über Member
I would be amazed if of wasn't a 68mm English BB... Available from very cheap to very expensive, I would suggest you look at swapping out the crankset to square taper and getting a BB to suit.. Of course, I'm biased cos I love putting wildly over-specced BB's and cranks in folders, current favourite is the Campagnolo setup in my Brompton, but there's a Chris king/FSA gossamer going in soon

OP
OP
W

wifflebat

Regular
Thanks for the info all
It has a square crankset on it currently though I have an old Campagnolo crankset from a long deceased road bike kicking around that would make it look rather shiny.
Am I looking for a spindle length that will locate the chainring in the middle of my freewheel cogs? Or if I just dropped £2 on a big box of new ball bearings I could try out one of these ye olde BBs I am seemingly building a collection of with minimum out lay.

chriscross1966

Über Member
If its already square taper then measure the width of crank axle and the size of the tapers to check whether it is JIS or ISO. Get a matching one.

OP
OP
W

wifflebat

Regular
Thanks all
Hopefully will get looking into it soon when life generally just calms down a bit (winter viruses in the family)

Attachments

• IMG_5054.JPG
    IMG_5054.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 61

12boy

Guru
If you try your old BBs you will be able to tell how long the spindle should be and if the threading is standard. The chain ring you use should be able to clear the chain stays, and having the chain line centered in the cluster is always ideal. The other factor is the width of the hubs you will be using. Usually with a old wheel the cups are good but the cones are pitted. Wheels mfg is a website that has cones and ball bearings and other parts. I would consider matching the bottom bracket to the wheels but they will probably need to be the same as the ones you have in terms of width.

Top Bottom