Raleigh Brake Lever Adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SandraP

Hi All!
You were so helpful with my kickstand query I'm back for more advice.
I want to adjust the angle of the brake levers on my Raleigh compact bike but there are no obvious screws to loosen them from the handlebars and they are rock solid.
Any suggestions?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Sandra, did you look underneath the levers?

HovR

Über Member
It would help if we knew the rough age of the bike, and whether it has flat bars or drop bars. :smile:

On my Dawes with drop bar road levers, you loosen the levers on the bars by disconnecting the brake cable and pulling on the lever until the lever is touching the bar. The screw to loosen the lever is now revealed in the gap between the hoods/main body and the actual brake lever. (If that makes any sense at all..)

Pat has pretty much covered Flat bar levers.

OP
OP
SandraP

SandraP

pull the brake lever and (from the front of the bike) look into the gap between the lever and the hood thats where you will probably find the screw (usually an allen key head)
Thanks. I've located the screw (it's not an allen key head but flat headed) but don't know how to turn it without damaging the brake wire.

HovR

Über Member
Thanks. I've located the screw (it's not an allen key head but flat headed) but don't know how to turn it without damaging the brake wire.

That's where my post comes in. :smile: Sounds like we have similar age levers/bikes. You disconnect the brake cable to put slack in it, so you can move it out the way within the body of the brake lever to allow you to reach the screw head.

Top Bottom