Raleigh child's bike, 1959-60, request for info

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Having found and bought a model of bike that I rode in my 20s (Carlton Corsair) and found adverts and an illustrated catalogue/spec sheet for the bike I owned in my teens (Viking Conquest), I am trying to find a bit of info about the bike (my first two-wheeler) that I rode before that. If it rings any bells with anyone, I would be grateful for any information. It was bought probably from Halfords in c. 1959-60 when I was 6-7 years old. I'm 99% certain that it was a Raleigh, and 90% certain the model was called a Pathfinder, although I have found reference to an adult bike of the same name so I could be mistaken. It was a junior-sized frame in royal blue with matching metal mudguards. I'm pretty sure the front mudguard had a kind of peak at the front with a chromed bobble - common with many steel guards of the era, I think. Bars, cranks etc were all chromed steel, the bar grips and brake cables were white plastic and the saddle a white, sprung affair. Single speed with chrome side-pull brakes.

I have happy memories of it, not only because it was my first bike of any kind and I learned to ride on it, but because it was the means of my Great Escape when I was about 8 years old. After a row with my parents, I left home on it (home was in Darlington) and got to the A1 and headed south. I got to the sign saying I was in Yorkshire, thought I had probably made my point, and cycled home. Total distance about 8 miles. I told Mum I had been with friends, and she never knew what I had done. You could do that in 1961 - today it's the A1M :smile:

I know there are some really knowledgeable people here, and just wondering if anyone knew anything. It would be great to find out a bit more, although I appreciate a child's bike from 60-odd years ago is hardly Classic or Vintage. There must have been plenty about, though.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Similar to this one, but without the stand, gears, lights and chainguard, and with white saddle and flat bars. And obviously about half the size.

But THOSE mudguards!

raleigh-1950s-classic-steel-bicycle-15.jpg

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Second thoughts ... did Halfords ever do a brand of their own, late 50s/early 60s? Could it have been a Halfords Pathfinder?

Think I'm talking to myself here ^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
My first proper bike was a Raleigh Rodeo. It seems to have been in production way before my 1973 model.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-raleigh-rodeo-childs-bicycle-474578186

They were very nicely made but I have only ever seen one in current usage.

That looks fairly similar to mine in its general 'feel'. Colour was a single blue (not far off that shade) and it was a gents/boys frame. Bars were straighter and I think the chainguard was rounded rather than that aero shape. But it's a loooong time ago. The name 'Rodeo' rings no bells at all, but the overall 'look' is right. Perhaps that's just the age. Thanks for posting, nice little bike.

Top Bottom