Raleigh chopper mk2- is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Raleighrecord

Raleighrecord

Regular
It'd ultimately be cheaper to buy a restored one, unless you particularly want to go through the process for the pleasure of doing something practical.
I enjoy restoring old bikes so that's why I was so interested in this one as I am nearly done with my grifter I am looking for a good winter project and I though that this chopper was perfect.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I you really love choppers, go for it - looks like you'll get a good bit of winter fettling from that one :smile: Otherwise there are loads of projects to be had on ebay for less.

It can be a lot of fun getting hold of a type of bike that you wouldn't normally go for, doing it up as a project and then seeing how you like it. I would never have bought most of my bikes at new/reasonable 2nd hand price and intended to sell them on, but a few have been so much fun they've become keepers, and they've opened up new types of cycling to me too.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Good mk1 and mk2 choppers do go for crazy money though.

Agree about them being awful to ride, I have the far more rideable but ultimately less trendy Raleigh Commando.

Brand X

I'd have to see the parts up-close, but considering that the frame is worth £50+ on it's own, I can't see how it's a bad deal unless the frame and forks are bad.

Mrs M

Guru
If you enjoy doing restorations, it would be a great job to bring the poor old thing back to life :smile:
Good luck, looking forward to see the finished pics.
I love Raleigh Chopper's :wub:

Top Bottom