Raleigh Chopper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Where they are made and what they are made out of.. The mk2 are made as cheep as pos.

LizardEye

IIRC the mk2 had a T-bar on the gear lever rather thana round knob. It also had a small rack behind the seat. The mk3 was the one they brought out a few years ago but it had a handlebar mounted gear change and the seat was a long normal type saddle with a seperate back rest- nowhere near as cool.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Bang on, LizardEye. The Mk2 also had the frame geometry altered so it was harder to wheely :sad:
The comeback was the Mk3, and had an alloy frame, alloy wheels and V-brakes, so it would actually stop.

TheDoctor said:
Bang on, LizardEye. The Mk2 also had the frame geometry altered so it was harder to wheely :sad:
The comeback was the Mk3, and had an alloy frame, alloy wheels and V-brakes, so it would actually stop.

except if you shoehorned the longer MkI seat on and sat at the back of it and then you could pull awesome wheelies.

The Mk1 is easily identifiable by its seat stays/ sissy bar which lines up directly with the centre of the rear hub. The Mk2 was adapted to discourage two up riding by shortening the seat. The top of the seat stays were moved forwards to accomodate the dimension change but retained the same angle. To reach the rear drop-outs the new stays had to bend backwards in a small curve at the bottom.

Ones are worth considerably more than twos to collectors.

OP
OP
Iainj837

Iainj837

Guru
I would love to own a MK 2 Chopper again, mine got sold @ a car boot sale :laugh::sad: I was not a happy bunny when it went.
I would love to restore one but it would have to be red :sad:

LizardEye

Apparently the mk2 had the bars welded to the stem so you couldn't angle them right down like my mate Colin did. Unsteerable but seriously cool.
The Chopper - work of genius, closely followed by the Grifter!

OP
OP
Iainj837

Iainj837

Guru
LizardEye said:
Apparently the mk2 had the bars welded to the stem so you couldn't angle them right down like my mate Colin did. Unsteerable but seriously cool.
The Chopper - work of genius, closely followed by the Grifter!
While I had the Chopper, my nieces had Grifters.
My best friend @ that time had a tomahawk another m8 had the striker.
Those were the days :wacko::smile:

potsy

Rambler
I inherited my cousing Raleigh Chopper when he got too big for it,I was about 10 iirc,had never been on a bike before and once I got the hang of it I loved it,until my next door neighbour got a Grifter for Xmas and let me have a go,unfortunately we could never afford for me to have one:sad:
Looking back now though the Chopper was way cooler:becool:

Top Bottom