Raleigh Clubman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpiste

Guru
Thanks, I paid £50. I bought it from an older guy at work, I feel a bit bad now but that's what he asked for.

Don`t feel bad.... just enjoy the ride and let him know how much you are loving it and let him know there are loads of admiring looks on here! Great looking bike mate. You did get a bargain :okay:

Good evening,

I am not at all sure if I am correct, but I thought that the 1983 Clubman had Campag 980 gears and shifters, and the 1984 (and 1985) model went to Suntour and if the S in the frame number does mean December then it would seem reasonable for such a late 1983 frame to be built to 1984 specs.

Given that the OP has said that the bike is almost as it was from the shop then the pedals are interesting, in 1985 the law was changed to require pedal reflectors. Whilst the original owner could have added them it seems quite possible that a retailer still had a 1984 model in stock in 1985 and added them themselves.

The eBay link from ChrisS seems overpriced to me, it is a Reynolds SMS tubing frame which is a non-alloy (hi-tensile) steel, at least the OPs is butted 531 main tubes.

£50 was a bargain and I agree that it could easily fetch Gunk's estimate but it may take quote a while for that buyer, on a 7 day listing, collect only I could easily see it fetching £75-£150 and being bought by someone who plans to resell it or someone who just wants a bike.

The condition appears to be wonderful but it is still a 36 year old bike and it is not clear if anything like the bars, seat post, cables or chain have rusted up, 531 main frame tubes only with non-alloy steel stays and forks is a solid entry level enthusiast's bike but it is also a long way from being sell the children as I must have it.:smile: You mention it needing new tyres, add to that an eBay buyer paying say £30 carriage on top of £250 and that starts to look expensive.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
That bike looks great . You are very lucky to have bought it, especially at that price .
I'm not sure if it is the same as the Carlton Clubman.
As for the tyres I would think that they were still rideable, I've got ones much older. It's when the tread starts to fall off that you should consider replacing them ! :whistle:

OP
OP
TouringDonut

TouringDonut

Regular
Good evening,

I am not at all sure if I am correct, but I thought that the 1983 Clubman had Campag 980 gears and shifters, and the 1984 (and 1985) model went to Suntour and if the S in the frame number does mean December then it would seem reasonable for such a late 1983 frame to be built to 1984 specs.

Given that the OP has said that the bike is almost as it was from the shop then the pedals are interesting, in 1985 the law was changed to require pedal reflectors. Whilst the original owner could have added them it seems quite possible that a retailer still had a 1984 model in stock in 1985 and added them themselves.

The eBay link from ChrisS seems overpriced to me, it is a Reynolds SMS tubing frame which is a non-alloy (hi-tensile) steel, at least the OPs is butted 531 main tubes.

£50 was a bargain and I agree that it could easily fetch Gunk's estimate but it may take quote a while for that buyer, on a 7 day listing, collect only I could easily see it fetching £75-£150 and being bought by someone who plans to resell it or someone who just wants a bike.

The condition appears to be wonderful but it is still a 36 year old bike and it is not clear if anything like the bars, seat post, cables or chain have rusted up, 531 main frame tubes only with non-alloy steel stays and forks is a solid entry level enthusiast's bike but it is also a long way from being sell the children as I must have it.:smile: You mention it needing new tyres, add to that an eBay buyer paying say £30 carriage on top of £250 and that starts to look expensive.

Bye

Ian
Thanks for reply and info. I'm not hoping to retire on the sale of it 😂

Everything seems almost brand new, no rust on seat post, chain or components. The chain is actually remarkably greasy and pristine.

I just look forward to riding it, I've tested it and it feels solid and very responsive.

Cheers

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It looks in time-warp condition, you should give the old boy a nice xmas gift if he wont accept another £50 note.

re tyres, panaracer pasela PT's come in 27" versons in tan wall (assuming its 27" rims) and will be lighter than the world tours but decent protection, albeit more expensive too. as with any parts at moment you might need to hunt around a few retailers

Top Bottom