Raleigh Eclipse Reynolds 501 Rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looks great. I bought one of these from a local bike shop in Glasgow when I was at Uni in 1988 or 1989. It was on offer, I think it was on sale for about £89 to £99. So I think it was an earlier model than those dates, given it was on offer and I think I had a conversation with bike shop owner about that. Anyway I was happy and used it a lot. I am currently bringing it back to use, I only have the frame (including forks) and crank left. Will replace the bottom bracket with newer Shimano sealed version. Stripping the paint by hand and then will have it repainted and will fit the other parts that I source/buy. Blast from the past and a great wee bike to ride. I have the 21" frame and found it super (hopefully that is not a sunny day memory). I have a couple of 56cm frames now and they are not quite as fitting as the old 21" Raleigh , appreciate precise size and measurements vary :smile:. But there you go.

I wouldn't change the BB to a sealed bearing one, they're crap, unless the shaft on the bearing surface is pitted. The older ones were made of much better steel and properly 'case hardened', the only times I've changed BB's on my Raleighs is when I've fitted more modern HT 11 cranksets to 3 of them, the others are still using 'caged' bearings (£2 a pair) and as long as you service them every couple of years they'll last indefinitly as long as you get to them before any damage has occurred (once they feel crunchy it is too late) and use oodles of grease in there on assembly.
What do I have against 'sealed BB's you may ask ,well frames get water in them and unless it can get out it will rot them from the inside thats why really 'high end' Steel frames have 'drain' holes in the bottom (I'm sure it's @midlife that has a great example as his avatar) my handbuilt 653 TT frame has 3 diagonal slots, some Colnago frames have the cloverleaf cut into the bottom but they are all for the same reason..........to let water out (it ain't to save a couple of grams on frame weight for sure)

Top Bottom